How to Increase Low Intake when Starting Strength Traing

Options
I REALLY NEED A LOT OF HELP WITH THIS QUESTION PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!

Im going to start out with info that will make many people hate me, but please bear with me and read the rest

I currently eat only 600-700cal each day (and never eat back exercise cal) and have for pretty much years. This was largely unintentional as i just got used to eating so little since (due to medical problems, allergies etc) there is very little i CAN eat

BUT i am sick of it! I know i need to eat more and now i am seeking the best and safest way to do this

So my qt:

How should i go about increasing this amount?

I have recently begun strength training (to help improve my health in general) so i know i need to eat additional for that on top of getting to a recommended amount (according to most sites my BMR is about 1300 cal)

BUT since ive eaten so little for so long would my metabolism have lowered to adjust to this?
- Should i thus only increase very very slowly?
- What macros should i aim for to help my strength training?
- Should i weigh myself to make sure i am not gaining weight too quickly and thus increasing my intake too quickly (which sould be dangerous) or should i just put the scales away?
- How much should i aim to increase it by?
- what cal intake should i have to allow strength gains?

I am about 5"9 and weigh about 47kg (104 pounds)
I do strength training 3/4 times per week with my trainer housemate who helps me

****I am well aware what i eat is waaaaaay too little so please people dont hate me for that. Keep in mind i am trying with all my effort to increase it i just want to do it safely

BUT I REALLY NEED SOME HELP HERE!

it would be more than extremely appreciated! Thank you so much to everyone in advance!

Replies

• tiddlebit11
    Options
    Nobody?
  • tiddlebit11
    Options
    bump
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Please do not bump your post before the 48 hour mark.

You've bumped your post twice within 2 hours. Have some patience please.

See here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/910264-why-dont-you-reply-to-my-post-you-pecker
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'll let SS and Sara cover the details as they're far better at that sort of thing than I am. That being said, for my $0.02 slow and steady is usually a safe bet, as with most things.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    As someone that has personal experience with an ED, please allow me to interject.

I am not trying to be rude here, but this is not a question for SS and Sara. This is a question for a dietician that specializes in eating disorders.

Yes, it may be presumptuous to assume "eating disorder," so I apologize if I am off base. But eating so few calories because "allergies" and "medical problems" is typically code for "I have an eating disorder but refuse to admit it."

Best of luck, OP.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Generally, we would advise people to walk their calories up slowly.

However, with your medical issues, as well as due to the fact that you are very underweight, you really should be talking to your doctor about your nutritional requirements. The recommendations that we would give regarding macros may well not be the best for you.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I hope I am not out of line here, but I think it would be wise to see a doctor anyway. Yes, you need advise from a doctor for getting your daily intake up (especially in light of pre-existing conditions), but also to evaluate your health. Not trying to be a fear-monger, but sluggish metabolism may be the least of your worries. Regardless of the reasons why, if you've been eating that much under your BMR, for that long, there could be damage to your organs unseen, that need to be addressed. I certainly hope this is not the case, but you need to be aware that it is a very real possibility. I hope you will see a doctor and be honest with them and have a medical workup done. The very best of luck to you.:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.