Dealing With DOMS Into Week 8

Options
mheebner
mheebner Posts: 285 Member
I am into about week 8 of Stronglifts, and the lifting is getting pretty damn heavy. I have just about cut out all other exercise and knocked my running back to once a week. A few week ago I upped my calories to help with recovery and it seemed to be working pretty good BUT it seems like I am back to where I started with DOMS. The last few workouts I am having some serious DOMS on my recovery days. Now I kind of expect some aches and pains especially on a calorie deficit, but it seems like the DOMS are increasing in intensity.
Is this pretty common ? I am hitting PR on some of the lifts and like I said the weights are getting....heavy....but I am starting to worry that I am not going to recover enough in one day to add weight on my next work out. I do not really want to up my calories again so is this something we have to deal with as we eat at calorie deficits ? Should I temper my expectations with the progression of the program ?

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    you are still hitting your target reps?
    Would an extra day of recovery help? If so, take it. Spread the workouts out a little. When I was topping out on 5x5 I only did 2 workouts a week to allow recovery.
    Otherwise- the usual- hot/cold contrast showers, stretching, etc.
    I never felt any correlation between caloric deficit and doms. It has more to do with the weight and volume you are lifting than what you are eating.
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    I have been starting to notice soreness more often and am a little concerned that my form is what is causing it. I have increased all exercises every week but last week. Which was also week 8 for me. Before stronglifts, I would not even consider my past experiance as lifting. I started SL5x5 as a total newbie, everything was new to me other then bench press. I started at empty bar on everything and didnt even jump up to 95lbs on deadlift and 65lbs on row until week 3. This week, I did 175lb on squat and did 5 5 2 5 5, the third set just felt off and I had to rerack it . I was sore during rest times but pushed through it. I assume once we get closer to our 1RM our muscles are starting to work much harder. Lifting more then they ever had before would cause them to tear under that load, thus causing DOMS. I would think that this is to be expected and seeing as we are squating every workout, it makes sense that they will still be sore only after one day of rest.

I have lots going on at home right now, and thought that was one of the reasons I am getting so discourged, but I am starting to think I am just sore and my body is not use to repairing muscles. Before stronglifts the only mucles I really used was those that move a mouse or press the keyboard keys.

I was also considering adding some cardio a few days a week to decrease body fat% but after reading what you posted I am thinking that might not be my best option. I have been on a 2050 calorie limit for the last two weeks, not eating back any exercise calories and it seems to be going ok. Going to continue this for the next three weeks, and revisit everything once the first SL5x5 12 week routine is up. I still enjoy it bit until I am 100% confident in my form, I get nervous adding more weight.
  • mheebner
    Options
    you are still hitting your target reps?
    Would an extra day of recovery help? If so, take it. Spread the workouts out a little. When I was topping out on 5x5 I only did 2 workouts a week to allow recovery.
    Otherwise- the usual- hot/cold contrast showers, stretching, etc.
    I never felt any correlation between caloric deficit and doms. It has more to do with the weight and volume you are lifting than what you are eating.

So far the only failed lift is overhead standing press. I failed for a second workout at 135 lbs. First fail was 5/5/3/4/4 and the last fail was 5/5/5/4/3. I am hoping to nail it next OHP workout. I think I may have to give myself just a little more time in between sets. Currently at about 2 min but I am thinking it may have to go 3-4-5 min in order to move forward.
    I am trying to not take an extra day off. I was coming from doing 3x lifting, and 3x cardio and it almost seems 'wrong' to not workout more than 3x a week. Mental I know and I am trying to change that way of thinking.
    I was also considering adding some cardio a few days a week to decrease body fat% but after reading what you posted I am thinking that might not be my best option. I have been on a 2050 calorie limit for the last two weeks, not eating back any exercise calories and it seems to be going ok. Going to continue this for the next three weeks, and revisit everything once the first SL5x5 12 week routine is up. I still enjoy it bit until I am 100% confident in my form, I get nervous adding more weight

Well where I am now with lifting there is NO WAY I could add any more exercise. Currently its taking me a whole day to recover, and like I said that might not even be enough. I too am on 2000 calories and I don't count lifting as calories burned, just strength training. I know exactly what you mean about getting nervous with more weight. I will get through most of the squat reps and that 'jello' feeling in my lower body starts setting in.

I will say this....its not just certain muscles that are sore....its like my entire upper body or lower body. I guess a testament that compound lifts really do work entire groups of muscles...ha.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Personally, I take as much time as I need between sets. Warmups go faster, heavy work sets, I wait til I'm recovered. It might be quicker in early weeks and the 1st couple sets but I take as long as I need. It probably won't help your DOMS but it will help you get your targets.

If you don't want to take an extra day of rest, then you'll just have to suck it up and go in sore! That's one of the reasons I went off of 5x5 and went to 5/3/1. It's 4 workouts a week, but I do squats Monday and deads Thursday, so I'm usually all the way recovered. I bench Tuesday and do the OHP on Thursday on the deadlift day to compress 4 workouts into 3 days. I know from years of doing it what my recovery is and what works and what doesn't. Since you are getting into more heavier weights now maybe it's time to evaluate where you want to go and what your personal recovery times are. There is no fault in taking extra days when things get heavy. When I was powerlifting I did just fine on 2 heavy workouts a week, 1 bench day and one squat day. I'd do a 2nd upper body/bench day with lighter weights and higher reps and work on speed and auxilliary lifts. When I was gearing up for a competition I'd add in a deadlift day but that was more for form/technique practice than pushing limits. Squats handled that.
  • mheebner
    Options
    The more I think about it, I believe I am just going to have to add in another rest day after squats, OHP, and deadlift days. Obviously squats and deads are taxing me more than squat, bench, and BR days are. I might try an extra day after that workout and see if that helps.

My schedule would look like this:

Monday ....squats, BR, BP
    Tuesday...rest
    Wednesday...squats, OHP, deads
    Thurs...rest
    Friday...rest
    Saturday....squats, BR, BP
    Sunday rest
    Monday.....squats, OHP, deads
    Tuesday....rest
    Wednesday rest
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I didn’t experience this myself. Are you sure it's doms and not an inflamed tendon, etc.?
  • mheebner
    Options
    No its definitely sore muscles. Right now my upper body, and shoulders are pretty sore from OHP on Sunday. The last few reps where I ended up failing I had the barbell halfway up with my arms shaking like jello and just kept at it until I completeled the rep. My form sorta went to hell but I ended up hitting 4 out of 5 reps .I think when you are using heavy weights, and then pushing beyond your bodies limits for a few sets, its gonna cause sore muscles.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I also switched to an intermediate lifting program in order to provide better recovery. I use Rippetoe's Texas Method. I lift heavy on Monday and Thursday and do a lighter weight recovery session on Saturday.

On Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday I alternate between a stationary cycle workout or running. But I keep the cardio at a recovery intensity using the Maffetone Method. This keeps my legs fresh for the squats and deadlifts.

Texas Method: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_texas_method

Maffetone Method: http://philmaffetone.com/180formula.cfm
  • mheebner
    Options
    I might have to look into...I really enjoy running but I have had to just about cut all of it out due to the lifting schedule.