missing yogurt in keto

Options
sixpacklady
sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
I love greek yogurt and really miss it.

Anyone use yogurt in keto diet? Any tips to incorporate yogurt? Any specific brands with low carbs?

Replies

• sixpacklady
    Options
    so no one misses the creamy tangy greek yogurt with berries ??:happy:
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I think (good) dairy is region specific. I probably see totally different brands in store than you do. You just have to spend the time reading labels at your next grocery store visit. Generally the plain greek style with highest fat content are the one with lowest carb and ugly ingredients. Stay away from any flavored ones.
    I used to buy Liberte brand , which is 6 gr carb for a 175 g serving. I think the kirkland brand at costco has the same macro profile. Oikos (danone) is like 9 g carb for the 175 g serving . Nowadays , i try to give up dairy and the few occasion I do have it, I buy a brand that produced by a local organic farm .
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    so no one misses the creamy tangy greek yogurt with berries ??:happy:

It's a lot of carbs for what it is, so it's in the category of a cheat for me. Some things are worth a cheat. Yogurt isn't one of them.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I just use Kroger CArbmaster yogurt. It's really not YOGURT yogurt, like you want, but it's good.
  • lebowski8
    lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I mix dannon plain whole milk yogurt at a ratio of 3/4 cup yogurt to 3 tbs heavy cream.
    It comes to: 8g protein, 8g carb, 24 g fat for a full serving.
    I might eat half that serving at a time.

I imagine you might do something similar with whole milk greek, which is a few g lower carb but much higher protein.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Uh...I eat full fat plain greek yogurt all the time....adding a bit of heavy cream helps too, but it's well within my carb allowance.
  • Nixenne
    Nixenne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Another option is homemade coconut yogurt. I've only tried it once during a fat fast, but you can make it with just a few ingredients. I thought it was pretty tasty, though you might have to add some thickeners if you're picky about the consistency. With the brand I used, it came out to 3 carbs per 1/2 cup.

Recipes and ideas:
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/45263391503/paleo-plans-simple-coconut-milk-yogurt
    http://funkyfoodallergies.blogspot.com/2011/03/coconut-milk-yogurt-in-crockpot.html
    http://www.xojane.com/healthy/coconut-yogurt-recipe
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Great ideas, thank you all!!

Only if fage full fat yogurt was readily available...In will try out the ideas given by all of you...
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Use full fat, its lower carbs than low fat usually.

Add thick cream (i love double fresh cream in it)

and for flavour i add a low carb protein powder
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I eat quite often quarck for breakfast, it has quite some carbs yeah, but over all over the day I stay within the ranges. I know it's not the best option, but I am so used to it.
  • easto_79
    easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I miss yogurt and my body does too, after reading this I might try and add some low carb into my diet as well.
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This isn't yogurt but has a creamy consistency and is similar to tapioca. Chia seeds soaked in coconut milk or cream- even almond milk, and sweetened with stevia. Great source of fiber, net carbs are negligible.
  • bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    kroger has carbmaster yogurt that I eat daily, but ricotta cheese is a good yogurt like treat too
  • AnaVerasGettingFit
    AnaVerasGettingFit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try that chia seeds suggestion!
  • puckertoe
    puckertoe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Putting coconut oil with it and mixing in some toasted coconut flakes with full fat greek yoghurt keeps me in ketosis, which is the point of the diet, so as long as I'm in Ketosis I don't mind the odd dairy cheat.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I stay away from any Greek yogurt with less than 10 % m.f. Lots of brands out there with +10% m.f., like Greek god, astro, Olympic, etc. If you can't find it in the grocery store, here's a tip I learned from a friend: get the highest percentage m.f. Greek yogurt you can find, then put it in a salad spinner and draw as much water out. The yogurt water is full of lactose (milk sugar). You will be left with a thicker yogurt that contains more fat (and protein) per portion, and less carbohydrates. You can then add heavy cream (+35% m.f. ) to thin out the strained yogurt to desired consistency or fat content.

Hope this helps.
  • bostendorf
    bostendorf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am not the keto expert but according to daily test strips (and lost of 8lbs in 5 weeks for a slightly overweight body) I am always in ketosis. I eat 1/2 cup of fage greek yogurt 2% with some stevia and Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice every day. Love, love, love it. My body craves it.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I make yogurt out of canned coconut milk. super easy!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    This is my own personal alternative, though I've recently fallen back in love with Greek yogurt again (normally the texture and waxy coating it leaves in my mouth are very off-putting...). Looking at this now, I could easily see adding an unflavored/flavored protein powder and/or collagen to make this have more of a protein content. You might even mix pureed cottage cheese with the sour cream. I'm not sure what that would do for texture... Possibilities are endless, really, once you master the initial recipe.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/recipe-jello-fat-bombs-731743

RECIPE: Jello Fat Bombs

UPDATED TO INCLUDE METRIC CONVERSIONS to be best of my abilities, with google at my ready.

I know most people aren't fans of the artificial sweeteners, but I found my new favorite fat bomb, tweaked my way. It is a creamy, custardy, dense mousse like pudding that just makes me SUPER happy.

Jello Fat Bombs

Ingredients

1 package of sugar free gelatin, your flavor choice (peach is my current fave) - (0.30 oz/8.5 g)
    1/2 packet (approximately 1.5 tsp) of unflavored gelatin (I used Knox out of habit) (each packet is 0.25 oz/7 g - so this is 0.125 oz/3.5 g)
    2 cups boiling water (per gelatin instructions, instead of one part boiling, one part cold, I use both boiling to dissolve the extra gelatin. Apparently, this is 470 ml (rounded), I'm sure UK packages are set up to be a better calculation for y'all)
    1 cup full fat sour cream (240 ml)
    1 cup heavy whipping cream (240 ml)
    1 packet stevia sweetener (to taste, optional - this took off the sour cream edge for me) (each US packet is 1 g)

Directions
    Boil water. Dissolve both gelatins completely. Stir at least 2 minutes.
    Stir in and fully in corporate sour cream. (I use a whisk, but this could be done in a mixer, by hand, whatever.) Mix at least 2 minutes. (Btw, all the mixing keeps it from separating later)

Whip in heavy cream. You could just stir it in, but I like the little bit of mousse like texture it adds. Again, stir at least two minutes.

Pour into 4 portions, approximately 1 cup each (240 ml / slightly larger if whipped). Refrigerate until firmly set.

Recipe in MFP Shows as: 331 calories, 32 grams fat, 4 grams carbs/net carbs (no fiber), 4 grams protein

FULL DISCLOSURE - the original recipe does not have the added unflavored gelatin, but it set too soft for me. Also, it did not add the sweetener over the jello sweetening, but the sour cream "bite" was off-putting for me (I'm not a fan of it straight at all), so adding that little bit of sweetness took the edge off, and it is still far less sweet than my old sweets! :) And this works fabulously for those who can't afford other fats sources - or who just need an awesome satisfying snack with staying power that kills the sweet tooth, but without all the sugar! :)

Yes, specifically these are geared to help me get in my daily fuel from fats without having to resort to something with more carbs or more protein than my body needs. My fiance said that these taste a lot like fancy yogurt to him but thicker, which he loves. It is like a really dense custardy mousse, which works for both of us. And he normally can't tolerate the sour cream in any form, but I guess pouring into the still warm dissolved gelatin nullifies whatever processing agent he's sensitive too. The fat count here is what makes this such an amazingly satisfying treat, and yogurt usually isn't kind to my stomach, but I imagine you could use the yogurt, as long as you are using full fat yogurt... Too much protein turns to sugar in the bloodstream, and that's something I am trying to avoid. I like the gelatin added for joint support. :)

UPDATE: It won't have the probiotics of yogurt, but I've been told that yogurt is a terrible resource for those anyway - kefir is said to be better. You could probably cut the water in half and use some kefir (plain) at the very end, when it's already cooled dramatically, for a boost there, too.