Has anyone with hypo tried going low carb?

I've been in maintenance for a good while now (since Dec. 2012), but since my doctor reduced my thyroid medication in August, my body has wanted to put a little of the weight back on. I haven't had much success getting rid of these extra lbs even though I've reduced my calories by a decent amount (gradually have gone from 1950 to 1600) and increased exercise. A couple of MFPers have suggested going low carb. I'd be willing to try it (to an extent - I believe in moderation), but I don't know if the diet is a good fit for hypo. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and/or gotten feedback on it from their doctor. Don't worry, I'd contact my doctor before trying it. :)

Replies

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    I try and eat low carb (it doesn't work every day), my doctor had no issue with it whatsoever she just advised me to eat plenty of protein so i would feel full. I'm hypo btw.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    I tend to try to up protein and veges and go a bit conservative with carbs.
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    I've been in maintenance for a good while now (since Dec. 2012), but since my doctor reduced my thyroid medication in August, my body has wanted to put a little of the weight back on. I haven't had much success getting rid of these extra lbs even though I've reduced my calories by a decent amount (gradually have gone from 1950 to 1600) and increased exercise. A couple of MFPers have suggested going low carb. I'd be willing to try it (to an extent - I believe in moderation), but I don't know if the diet is a good fit for hypo. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and/or gotten feedback on it from their doctor. Don't worry, I'd contact my doctor before trying it. :)

I wouldn't say I eat "low carb" but I eat hardly any PROCESSED carbs. I'm a firm believer that a calorie is not just a calorie, and that the things you eat are processed differently in your body.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    All the research I've done agree that people with hypo tend to have a gluten and soy intolerance.
    Maybe try cutting back on gluten and carbs.
  • I have gone low carb and I am hypo. I lost 10 pounds right away. However, then I started to experience a feeling like a blood sugar crash. It was horrible. I no longer do low carb because I am recently pregnant, but after I deliver the baby I plan on doing the anti-inflammatory diet because I feel that this blood sugar crash may be a result of insulin resistance or hypoglycemia and either way i did not experience it on the anti-inflammatory diet. I did not necessarily lose weight either, but I had some other stuff going on at the time I attempted it and those issues have been resolved now.
  • I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism and recently tried a low-carb diet. It was pretty bad... my hair started falling out, I experienced the same blood sugar crash that someone else experienced, etc. My doctor suggested more veggies, less fruit and gluten. Hope you find a balance that works for you!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    I have Hashi's and have been eating LCHF for almost 2 years. I'm also diabetic, so for me it was definitely the best choice