Treadmill vs Outside C25K

Options
kzivic
kzivic Posts: 326 Member
Just curious who's doing C25K on a treadmill, outside, or a hybrid of both.

I'm a hybrid, using the treadmill during the week, but going outside on the weekends. I'm finding there are definite pros and cons to both and it's been an interesting mix week to week.

Where are you doing your C25K training and what's your experience been like?

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I did my C25K training last winter, on the treadmill. I ran outdoors through the spring, summer and fall and am now a hybrid, like yourself.
    The two are certainly different. I find that I can't expect the same times or speed from both (the two experiences are not comparable), had a hard time transitioning to the outdoors when I first went out and found that I like the outdoors better for running. I've become quite fond of hills, too.

How are you finding the two? Which do you prefer? What are the differences you're finding?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I did both during C25k, especially during the colder days.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a treadmill so I have been running outside. So far it's been ok but it's getting a lot colder and I am a little nervous about how I will cope when the snow arrives!

A couple of years ago I was running regularly on a treadmill and I was quiet happy with it, but I find being outside is better for me mentally - when I am 3km from home I have a definite incentive to keep running, whereas on a treadmill I get lazy and quit early.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I did the first 3.5weeks outside, but now I'm restricted to the treadmill because its too dark to run outside when I get home from work, and its just not safe where I live. I've just started Week9.

I quite liked running outside, but I also like being able to go to the gym, pop in my earphones and not have to pay attention to anything - when I'm outside I have to concentrate on cyclists, other pedestrians, crossing busy roads, rubbish I might trip over - it can really mess up a run!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am also a hybrid, although I vastly prefer being outside. It's just the cold or the dark that drive me inside to the treadmill. Come springtime I will be back outside full time!

Edited to add that I am just starting week 3. I am green but loving it and taking it slooowww....LOL
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    19 degrees F this morning with wind gusts to 30mph...5am run. It's dark, but i'm reflective and i wear a light. I can't envision being able to run on a treadmill.

like arrseegee, I imagine that I would quit easier on a treadmill.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm a hybrid. I did up to last week mostly outside then we got our first snow, the ground turned icy and I moved indoors. I will probably go back to running outside as soon as the ice is gone. I'm on week 5 now! Going to run my 8 minute intervals after work today on the tredmill. I have heard if you put the treadmill at a 1% incline it more accurately represents running outside. I miss the outside already but I like my nose too much to be running out there right now.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I imagine that I would quit easier on a treadmill.

The feeling to quit earlier is most certainly there on a treadmill. But I've found that pushing through that has made me a more determined runner outdoors.
    Part of pushing through the desire to quit is finding something to keep your mind occupied and focussed so that you don't think about quitting. It's a never-ending vicious circle. The mind plays all kinds of tricks on you to make you think that you want to or have to stop running. This is not true. You have made the time and have the commitment to run; you just have to show your brain that you mean it.
    Things I've found helpful to keep my focussed: lively music at a beat that I can run to, audio books, watching the birds & squirrels outside (my treadmill is in a solarium; lots of windows), mulling over the day's events, mulling over some recipes I'd like to try, writing letters in my head to transcribe later. Anything that will keep your mind active works if it's something you can focus on.
    I've found that learning to focus like that has also kept me more determined and focussed when running outdoors. I can go longer, go uphill, run in the heat, etc. possibly more readily because I can stay focussed on something that takes my mind away from the actual running and time.
    Things to stay focussed on when running outdoors is a lot the same as on the treadmill (but much easier and nicer): audio books, the scenery, your surroundings (very important; never forget to be aware), the people you pass, lively music, new pathways/routes [just follow a (safe) road/trail....any road/trail....you never know where it leads you. I've found this to be very motivating and makes my runs interesting and sometimes unexpected].

Treadmills can be daunting but we're stronger than that and can push through to make treadmills work for us.
  • uberdilettante
    uberdilettante Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 7 and have to this point only run outside. Any tips on converting to indoor running when I have to? I've heard about setting the incline to 3% or something like that to better mimic the resistance of outdoor running.

I'm really dreading the prospect of running indoors once the weather gets worse.
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do it on a treadmill......sure the urge to quit earlier is always there, but I really like challenging my brain in the manner. It really helps me disciplining myself!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I'm on Week 7 and have to this point only run outside. Any tips on converting to indoor running when I have to? I've heard about setting the incline to 3% or something like that to better mimic the resistance of outdoor running.

I'm just starting to pay more attention to my treadmill workouts (last winter, I was concentrating on just making it through it C25K day).
    An incline of 2% on my treadmill feels about the same as running outdoors; 3% feels like a bit of a hill.
    For some reason, I find that I'm a bit slower on the treadmill than outdoors. For now, I'm going to just say that the two running conditions cannot be compared by speed and take each on its own. I'm faster than I was when I got off the treadmill in the spring, so the trend is going in the right direction.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I'm really dreading the prospect of running indoors once the weather gets worse.

It's different. A treadmill is a tool that can be used to improve speed and form. I find that you need a specific goal to help you get through a longer workout. A fan blowing on you also helps, as does music/a book/TV. On the other hand, you can keep a towel, a water bottle, Kleenex, chapstick, all right there with you.

Also, the ability to use the restroom whenever one needs to is priceless. I've never come back from a run with one sock, but I've come close.
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't like running on a treadmill, and don't have access to one right now anyways because of my budget. So it's all outside for me!