Post-Half Depression

Options
soehlerking
soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
Am I the only one? Now that it's over, I don't know what to do with myself. And the winter months have taken my pep away. I get all wheezy and sniffly when I run outside, so I've been sticking to the treadmill. I miss the gross 10-mile runs in 75-degree weather. What are you all doing to get through the winter?

Replies

• RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    aww. I'm tagging this because my life REVOLVES around my half in the spring and I will probably have similar feelings after that!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Running outside. It's going to be about 32 in the morning and I'm going to do 6-8 miles and enjoy every runny nose second of it. The treadmill sucks no matter how cold it is outside.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I was miserable after my first 1/2 bc I took about 6 wks off from running due to ITBS. I literally cried some nights watching my friends on here log their runs. Pathetic I know. Any who, once I settled back in and came back full force and started training for my 2nd and 3rd 1/2, I've never felt that way again. Much of it was due to the fact that once I started, I quickly realized how much I actually hated having a plan dictate my life. Just run, join a running club, do trail runs etc. Cold weather running is actually very enjoyable and your body will get acclimated to it.
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've started strong lifts 5x5 instead of running in the winter months, nice warm gym compared to cold paths! I'm enjoying not running for the moment, it's nice to do something completely different.
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    Options
    I've done 1 half and i felt completely lost afterwards. I didn't know what to do with myself and i didn't have a workout/plan post run.

I felt guilty i wasn't running like i was for training.

It's just heading into summer here so we are opposite. I found it quite easy to run in the winter. I loved the rain keeping me cool. When it was snowing i would wonder how many people thought i was crazy for being out in that weather.

The heat actually annoys me more than the cold :)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Signing up for a Feb race and a March race has done the trick for me! Highly recommended :-)
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I got the post Marathon blues in November after my first full. I just felt like I had Post Partum.. you train for this race, months and months and then finally it's the day and you've worked so hard and BOOM.. it's over. You've had your marathon/half marathon baby.

I'm signed up for a butt load for next year though so I'm keeping the party going!
  • cdstaufenbiel
    cdstaufenbiel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I went through this, too! I completed my first half marathon in mid-October and felt lost immediately aftewards. I slacked off on running, barely mustering 12 miles in the next month. The entire month! I finally signed up for another half marathon in April. It turns out that having a goal in mind is crucial for training motivation for me. I'm slowly working up to longer runs. It's a little frustrating to see how much I have slacked off, but I don't want to risk injury by jumping in for a 10 mile run after such a long break.

I hope that helps! Congrats on finishing your half and good luck getting back on track! :smile: