Thoughts on Boarding?

Options
I am being faced with relocating my Sully due to financial/property constraints. We live so far out in the boonies that boarding isn't really an option, as it would be too far for me to see him regularly, and too expensive for full care. However, I heard of an old man through my farrier this week with a private property, two horses of his own and looking to offer board to a third. I was so excited. So I went to meet him yesterday.

It's been years since I boarded, so I'm a bit out of touch. But this fellow's price went up over a hundred dollars while we talked. And with everything I said I would add to the deal, his price climbed!

The deal would be, I'd provide all my own grain/hay/supplements. I would have no say in whether or not Sully was blanketted. I told the guy that he doesn't do well in a stall and would only need to be stalled during the worst weather. I told him I could make it out once daily for feeding, so the guy wouldn't have to grain him. So essentially, the BO would be watching a third horse graze his massive field and drink out of a creek, and possibly have to grain him if we got hit with winter weather.

In addition, the BO isn't even on the premises for large chunks of the summer/spring/fall as they camp with their horses, so I'd essentially be "watching" his property and have to be out multiple times a day (it's 9 mi. from my own home.)

For all this, he finally landed on $200. Is that a fair price? He even came out and said that he'd have to charge me extra for shavings, whether or not my horse used a stall.

It's a nice place, but pretty much just rough pasture on a mountain hillside and big old cattle barn that he's put some gates in to create stalls. Plus, it reeked of blood as that's where he cleans any game he hunts. There was a fresh skinned deer hanging in the middle of the aisle.

I understand full board is expensive, but I just didn't care for this guy's attitude. Struck me as greedy. In this area, pasture board is rarely more than $100 a month, and the land owner typically provides forage.

What do y'all think?

Replies

• epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think that is fairly expensive. I paid $200 a month for full care pasture board, and extra $30 for blanketing. The property I had WIllow on had an outdoor arena for riding. She was fed grain twice daily with supplements (farm provided grain, i provided supplements) and hay 2-4 times per day (depending on season). Full care stall board in winter (thin skinned TB) was $300.

I live in rural NY and I know my situation is cheap as heck (start up farm, only a few boarders). Most full care situations with stall board around here are 350-450 (but those have indoor arenas as well as outdoor arenas). I still don't think I would be paying $200 plus providing all the food, feeding once daily, and taking care of the property when the owner was gone. But, you need, he has and the law of supply and demand may apply here.
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's true, too. There are no riding facilities, this is literally a guy's house and barn and 6 acres.

I'm thinking though, that if anyone in my area can afford him, they probably have the money to go an hour in any direction and pay $200 to $400 for a high class riding facility.

The guy had no sense of humor, though; I couldn't imagine having to make small talk with him on a daily basis. And he was one of those people that really likes to hear his own voice. I honestly don't think he heard a word I said! lol
  • epiphany29
    Options
    True. I bet once you bought hay and grain and shavings and gas you would pay what the other facilities are. Check out craig's list or put an ad up there to see if anyone has any options nearby.

I had a few people offer to let me keep Willow on their property as long as I took care of her. Gas alone would have cost more than board for 2 trips a day. You might have to suck it up and do the drive, find a way to schedule yourself so you can make it out 4 times a week.

I had to pick a stable on my way home, not past my home. Because once I get through that door my behind is not going back out.

Good luck
  • belles783
    Options
    That seems expensive to me...I semi-rough board and pay $250 and that includes a stall, all the feed, hay and bedding and Tank has a paddock to himself. I just clean my own stall, bring Tank in at night and feed him. Luckily, my barn is right across the street from my house...a 2 minute walk... They have some trails, a lighted outdoor ring and a lighted and fully enclosed round pen...it's small but it is somewhere to ride and work your horse when the weather is crap... Honestly, I got really lucky having such an awesome neighbor and barn owner... I would suggest, if it is an option, to go around to the small backyard barns in the area and ask if you can board there...you never know... Although she is about 25 years older than I am, my barn owner has become a really good friend, we go all over the place to trail ride and do hunter paces and she knows so much and taught me tons! I take care of the barn when she wants to go away and she will take care of Tank fully when I want to go away for no extra fee, even if I just want a night off. Based on your description of this guy, I don't think you will be getting a friend, actually he sounds like he would be a pain lol! Keep us posted though!!
  • featherbrained
    Options
    Wow, Belle, you are so fortunate. May I come live with you? ;) lol

Our rental home is in the middle of 100 acres of fenced, maintained cow pasture, with about 70 head of cow/calves on it. We're on good terms with the cow guys, as we call them ;) Right behind the barn (which is ours with the house) is a ~2acre tract of seperately fenced rough land, that used to be the holding and sorting pens for the cattle. They've since fallen down (must be close to 100 years old) and the new guys have built a new sorting area on the other end of the property. I asked a few times last year if they'd consider renting me that little tract, and I'd clean it up and keep it maintained, and they politely declined. Which was fine, I didn't NEED it at the time.

I decided to give it one more shot yesterday, and called them up and asked. They've got me awaiting an answer now, which is torture! :( So frustrating, because it's all I need to keep Sully with me, and it's in my own yard. But convincing people you're a responsible horse owner and true to your word is hard work anymore.

I will say this; I'm prepared to beg! :)
  • epiphany29
    Options
    Good luck. I hope that works out!
  • belles783
    Options
    Sure, come live with us...we can ride together...the more the merrier!!

Yes, I am VERY lucky to have come across such a wonderful barn owner.

Responsible horse owners are hard to come by, and the irresponsible ones ruin it for us! Maybe if you propose that they let you rent the space on a trial basis for a month or two so that you have the opportunity to show them that you are in fact a responsible owner? Sounds like it would be a great situation for you and Sully if they come through for you...let us know :)
  • featherbrained
    Options
    I had that very thought! I think if they come back with a no, I'll broach that to them, on trial for the winter until the grass comes in and they need it for the cattle. That at the very least would give me a few more months with Sully.
  • featherbrained
    Options
    Thanks, Epiphany! The things we do for horses, right?
  • appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am about to start boarding my mare for $250 a month. I am pretty sure they do everything, but the girl gets fat on air as long as she has access to pasture. I am hoping to get her finally finished there... she thinks bucking is a part of warming up after the round pen.

The last place I was lucky enough to board was all self care $30 a stall. They had a few runs, which after everyone saw my horses tried to kill every horse that was turned out with them they stopped arguing with me about why my appaloosas needed to be turned out alone at night. I wasn't dealing with sunburned noses or the mares fly allergy... she looses her hair if she is outside in the day. I probably ended up paying about $600 a month to keep the two fed, but it was worth it.

So I guess for me $200 doesn't sound bad, but with his attitude making it sound like there will be extra surprises I would look elsewhere too. Don't let the cost of gas surprise you.
  • featherbrained
    Options
    I know! Fuel prices are the reason I'm having such a hard time. They're good now, $2.95 a gallon, but they were close to $4/gal just a couple of months ago. And I drive a 1967 Ford F100 that gets about 12 mpg. :p So finding something where I don't necessarily have to go out every day would be ideal.

I think I wouldn't have balked so much at the price had he been providing hay, at least, and had been a nice person ;) lol
  • featherbrained
    Options
    Sully is coming home till March 1st! I'll have him in a paddock next to my house with limited grazing, but grass season is over, so it's a perfect winter set up. We'll try to negotiate something more permanent before our time runs out, but at least I have these few months with him right outside my bedroom window.

Since there's no grass to take away from his cattle, the guy isn't even charging me anything! As a thank you to him (he doesn' t know it yet) I'm repairing all the fences and cleaning up 50 years worth of rotting junk out of the area. :) And providing him with all the eggs his family can eat.

I am so happy right now.
  • belles783
    Options
    YIPPEEE!!! That's GREAT news!!! So glad everything worked out! :smile:
  • epiphany29
    Options
    Congratulations :)