Nicotine patch?

Options
I have had mild symptoms for a month that have finally developed into a flare. I've been on Humira for about a year and everything was going well. But I was having trouble with muscle and nerve pain in my legs, so I saw my family doc and he prescribed Mobic. I took one dose and saw just a little blood. I waited two days and took another, and then the flood gates opened. Bleeding constantly now.
I can't definitely blame it on the Mobic, but its the prime suspect. Since I'm on Humira, I think, I hope that means I can't take prednisone. I see the doctor today and will flat out refuse any steroid. I've taken them about 15 times in the last ten years, each time for 3 to 4 months. I need an alternative.
Has anyone tried the nicotine patch? Its controversial, but I noticed that my colitis started the year after I quit smoking. I am ready to try it, but only if I have a good chance of success. About the only thing left to try is Remicade.

Replies

• CamillaHerold
    CamillaHerold Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Doc heard my symptoms and immediately suggested Uceris. Its a steroid, but its has an enteric coating that keeps it from being absorbed until it reaches the large intestine. So it greatly reduces the typical steroid side effects. So he says anyway... we shall see. He also scheduled a colonoscopy for late December so he can see exactly how the Uceris works for me.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    prescribed Mobic.
    I can't definitely blame it on the Mobic, but its the prime suspect.

I've been on/off Mobic (AKA meloxicam) for years, for inflammation related to sport injuries. Just to make sure you're clear, it's an NSAID....NOT a steroid. Semantics I know, and still not good for the stomach (I try to take it only when VERY necessary), but there is a difference.
  • CamillaHerold
    CamillaHerold Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sorry I was a bit unclear on this. The Humira and Uceris were prescribed by my gastro for ulcerative colitis. The Mobic was for back/muscle pain and was coincidentally prescribed by my family doc. But I always keep the family doc informed about what the gastro is doing, and I told him I was in a flare. I don't think the family doc realized the risk of bleeding with Mobic. As soon as I mentioned it to the gastro, he said that Mobic is one of many NSAIDS known to worsen flares and not to take it anymore. I can't wait to give the family doc a piece of my mind about that next week.
    I'm not too concerned about finding something else for back pain, or I'll just deal with it. It's the Uceris I'm concerned about. So far only mild systemic effects, like night sweats and mild bradycardia, but no change in my weight. The gastro said it might take a little longer than prednisone to stop the flare, but it would work within 2 weeks. He wants me to take it for 8 weeks, and he's doing a colonoscopy in late December, after 4 weeks on it.
    I really wanted to try the nicotine patch but he would not even discuss it!