Good "How to get faster on a long run" advice

Options

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Going to ask here because it's a dumb question but what's an LT pace?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Dumb questions are one of the major purposes of this group.

Lactic Threshold.

http://karbeyond.blogspot.com/2008/12/difference-between-tempo-runs-and.html
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Interesting article.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    This is exciting! I love a good hearted rivalry. :-)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Doug is such a good person too. If that's her training time, I don't think she'll have a problem...and it's her first half!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Another great thread from LDR. Interesting how Carson and Keith disagree. Carson is pretty much straight Jack Daniels, while Keith is a bit more of a maverick - he reads pretty widely and takes everything with a grain of salt.

If David Martinez chimes in, I'd take his advice as the tie-breaker, but that's just me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1137041-i-want-my-marathon-pace-to-be-10-30-ish

Of course, this is also the runner who constantly complains about how slo-o-o-ow she is. Which is why I love our cozy spot over here.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's nice seeing some differing points of view but I think those two are at much different levels. Carson's amount of running is appropriate for the kind of pace he runs over long distances. Keith seems like a less-experienced runner who runs a good pace but not terribly fast. I tend to agree with pretty much everything Carson says but I know I am a long way from training like him. I will get there eventually - I certainly have the time for it, just not the ability right now.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Another great thread from LDR. Interesting how Carson and Keith disagree. Carson is pretty much straight Jack Daniels, while Keith is a bit more of a maverick - he reads pretty widely and takes everything with a grain of salt.

If David Martinez chimes in, I'd take his advice as the tie-breaker, but that's just me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1137041-i-want-my-marathon-pace-to-be-10-30-ish

Of course, this is also the runner who constantly complains about how slo-o-o-ow she is. Which is why I love our cozy spot over here.

Just so I understand, she ran a half marathon at a pace of 11:30 and now she wants to run a full marathon at a pace that's one minute faster? Doesn't your pace get slower when you run a longer distance? I realize she is looking to improve her pace, just seems like a lot to me. By the way, I would love to be as "slow" as she is :laugh: And I agree, I love our cozy spot right here.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Just so I understand, she ran a half marathon at a pace of 11:30 and now she wants to run a full marathon at a pace that's one minute faster? Doesn't your pace get slower when you run a longer distance? I realize she is looking to improve her pace, just seems like a lot to me. By the way, I would love to be as "slow" as she is :laugh: And I agree, I love our cozy spot right here.

She's delusional to shave that much off her pace by next May. For her first marathon she just needs to concentrate on finishing it.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Yeah it's nice seeing some differing points of view but I think those two are at much different levels. Carson's amount of running is appropriate for the kind of pace he runs over long distances. Keith seems like a less-experienced runner who runs a good pace but not terribly fast. I tend to agree with pretty much everything Carson says but I know I am a long way from training like him. I will get there eventually - I certainly have the time for it, just not the ability right now.

Not everybody has the ability to recover like Carson either :)

I agree with your assessment of experience level. I've found Keith to be really insightful with his perspective. However, Carson tweaked my form (and speed) with a single piece of feedback based on my avatar.
  • likitisplit
    Options

She's delusional to shave that much off her pace by next May. For her first marathon she just needs to concentrate on finishing it.

Totally agree with that. Functionally, that's like three to four minutes from her current pace.