Pre-Surgery Diet

Options
Hey everyone just got the phone call today from my surgeon that my date of surgery is set for December 11th when i will be getting the sleeve done. My question is about the Pre-Surgery diet that they put you on the 2 weeks prior to surgery. My parents both had the Lap Band done and their surgeon put them both on a liquid pre op diet and my surgeon wants to put me on a high protein pre op diet. I don't know how I feel about this because i've never heard of anyone being on a high protein pre op diet just the liquid one. Any ways just wondering if anyone else was put on a high protein diet instead of a liquid diet and what kind of foods you ate etc thanks a lot!

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your surgery!!

I wasn't put on any kind of pre-surgery diet before my sleeve surgery. It seems like the requirements vary between surgeons.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Mine was actually both liquid and high protein. My "meals" essentially consisted of high protein low sugar protein drinks. Also had to drink a minimum of 64 oz water a day on top of that.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Mine was actually both liquid and high protein. My "meals" essentially consisted of high protein low sugar protein drinks. Also had to drink a minimum of 64 oz water a day on top of that.

You need to check to see what yhe diet consists of. My guess it is a liquid diet, consisting of protein drinks.

The main point of this diet is to shrink your liver, in order to make the surgery easier. The better you follow the liver-shrinking diet, the smoother everything will go.
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hello,

I'm finding the pre-surgical and post-surgical diets vary from surgeon to surgeon. You doctor knows what's best for you based on your health history and your current weight, along with the type of procedure he'll be performing. I would disregard all other advise and do what your surgeon says, and do it without wavering.

December 11th will be here before you know it! Good luck to you.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I was on a one-week liquid diet, no restrictions on quantity. Sugar free pudding was allowed. I drank clear protein drinks and ate soup, ice-pops and pudding. Ask your Dr. to be specific and try to follow as closely as you can so you can shrink (de-fat) your liver. Good luck.
  • trevntoto
    Options
    Hi Shane,

I had the sleeve bypass done on 8 November, my surgeon recommended 2 week meal replacement program (Luckily in Australia we have many Very Low Calorie Diet drinks and meals available, i'm sure you'd have them where you are) with a cap of 750kcals per day. I actual started before the 2 week period and was happy because I lost almost 10kg before surgery. I had good support from my family and was able to do this without too much trouble, but i did reward myself at one stage with a McDonalds meal (last I'll probably have) but it took me nearly a week to recover from it weight wise. My best suggestion is to keep focused on your ultimate goal. Post op be very careful and only sip your fluids dont gulp as I saw a lady who went into the theatre before me, do this and it caused a lot of problems for here which took days to recover from. I am slowly now introducing pureed food and last night i cooked a chicken curry and liquidised about a litre which will give me 6 meals which i froze for end of next week.
    Good luck with your journey.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Same for me. High protein helps to make sure your body is in good nutritional shape to heal after surgery. A high protein liquid diet (low fat/sugar/carb) also shrinks your liver and makes your liver in the best condition possible. Fatty liver syndrome is common among obese. Fatty livers are fragile. Your liver usually is lifted up during surgery to make room to operate on stomach. A liquid diet helps you to mentally transition to a drastic change in eating styles.