Race route is back and forth on same course

Options
RachelRuns9
RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
Is that lame? I'm dreading it. You will spend the ENTIRE race running opposite those who are head of you, and possibly be able to see that not many people are behind you when you turn around to go the other way.

I'm not one to focus on how other people are doing - I'm good about just focusing on myself. But this seems like it will be really discouraging! I mean couldn't they have found a way to make the route circular instead of just going up and then back again?

Are many half like this - and if so, did it bother any of you?

Replies

• rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I recently did a half like this and it wasn't too bad. I did however feel more sorry for the people doing the full and having to see the entire route twice. Out back out again and then back again. Yup no thanks! The people coming either direction were friendly and encouraging to no matter who was ahead or behind them! Sadly there weren't many spectators but that was because of something totally different.
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    Options
    No not at all.

I've only done one half and it was an out and back course. I found it extremely boring and felt sorry for the people doing the full around the course. I would never do it again. But then some people might really enjoy that sort of thing.

Trying to find another half marathon which is scenic and doesn't go back and forth is proving difficult unless its done on trails.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I liked my out and back half more than the one I did that was a big loop.

Course I didn't love: an 8 miler that was out 2 miles, back 4 miles, then return 2 miles to the start line. Ick.