for those of you who run

Options
To those of you who run,I am struggling with arch pain,was hard first 5 minutes of run tonight and then no issue for the next 20 minutes and of course,as soon as I stop,I am in pain again.
I am sure it's plantar fasciitis,I have been icing,using topical magnesium,and rolling it on a ball..does everyone think it's a bad idea to continue run on it?
I have not ran since Sunday and started again tonight.I wouldn't say the pain is any worse now then before I went out for the run.
I have been wearing an insert in my shoe that is meant to help..is that a good idea?
I am also trying not to walk around barefooted as this is not supposed to be good for it.
Any suggestions that anyone has in conquering it would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a runner... anymore. Well, I do run, every day, but I no longer run long distance on purpose. lol But, it's illogical to me that all these things we do to our feet these days are beneficial. For instance, many foot problems are because we have our feet confined in shoes all the time. We are meant to walk right on the ground. So there's issues of grounding (lack of grounding often causes pain, in feet, joints, and throughout our body) and position of the foot and how the foot moves. I'm not saying immediately to throw your shoes away, I'm saying that it's illogical that an insert is the cure.

I actually think the advice to not walk barefoot at all is completely wrong. You may need to work up to walking barefoot over time if you aren't used to it, but it's illogical that using feet as nature intended is "bad".

Personally, I think running in pain is NOT good. Stress from pain also makes our body sick.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, and unfortunately for your short-term running goals, if you want to be able to run pain-free in the long-term, you might have to back it down to walking. I always recommend the minimalist shoes, too. Maybe try switching over to brisk walking in the vibrams or something similar and see how it goes. Then once your feet are healed you'll be enjoying a beautiful winter run with healthy, happy footsies!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Second the minimalist shoes, but be warned - you cannot walk as far in them as you did your old running shoes right away. You have to work up to it, particularly if you usually wear conventional shoes.

Also, make sure your form is correct. The heel-to-toe form that a lot of people have pounded into them by their gym teachers is all wrong and one of the easiest ways to get injured.

Vibram has a good guide on how to transition - http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/education/barefoot_running_technique.htm

And, like Akima said, running while in pain is bad. Rest up and let your foot heal, then start with walking and work up to running again.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have been through severe PF - definitely stop and let things heal for a while, don't keep on pushing through pain. 2 things helped me to overcome it - taping and getting rid of shoes with arch support. I would recommend seeing a physical therapist who will give you exercises and stretches and show you correct taping technique. Then ignore the next bit where they will recommend shoes with arch support ;-) Wearing things like flip flops should also be avoided - these cause us to walk incorrectly and are a known contributing factor in causing PF. Supportive shoes at the other extreme also cause problems. Think of the arches of your feet - how is an arch (any type, think bridges etc) supported? By pillars at each end, putting support under an arch weakens it - apply this to your feet and think about how when you have support in your shoes all the little muscles that support your arches aren't actually working to hold it up like they are supposed to so they become weak. Going barefoot around home and then gradually building up enough strength to wear minimal shoes has meant complete healing for me and total relief from pain that crippled me for nearly 18 months. Hope you heal quickly :-)
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    My dh's PF was "cured" by a chiropractor. It turned out one leg was longer than the other,but when his spine was adjusted his legs were the same length and the problem went away.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    Thanks for your comments everyone :)
    I started the taping and it seems to be helping and as much as I want to just keep on running,I am going to give myself a full week off and see if that makes a difference..if it needs longer I will take it.
    I am SO frustrated by this as every time I seem to hit a running goal,some sort of injury seems to put me off and I have to go back and start again.
    I will look into minimalist running shoes,I am lifting in minimalist shoes atm,but they are not for running.I can't lift without them because it bothers the pf too much.