Dining at friends' houses

Options
sb4480
sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
Tonight I had dinner at a friend's house she knows I'm gluten free but doesn't really get that gluten is in more than beef and pasta. She called to ask if I could eat egg noodles, negative. I said no and she said "ok ill make potatoes, but you should probably pick up a GF dessert". So I said, "no worries I'm eating low carb so I won't need desert."

So I get there and dinner is this crockpot concoction off of Pinterest consisting of beef, mushrooms, carrots and a gravy bi asked what was in it-beef stock, cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, and a can of sprite *face palm*. And she served me so yep, potatoes too. So not only was the meal NOT carb friendly, but it was far from gluten free :( I have celiac disease so this is bad news and ill likely feel like *kitten* later. But she's a close friend and is sensitive. I honestly felt like I had no choice but to eat what was on my plate, which was 5 mini potatoes (OMG side note but the cutest little potatoes ever!) and about a cup of the beef mixture. I ate the beef and mushrooms and left the sauce.

So Fx I don't get too sick and I'm not thrown out of ketosis!

How do you manage dining at friends's houses when you're eating low carb/keto?

Replies

• Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the host was just ignorant. I think a lot of people view gluten free as a diet trend versus an actual health concern. I have crazy food allergies and so I can understand situations like this. Is it infuriating? Yeah. Is it your responsibility to eat as is appropriate for you and your diet/health? Also yes.

I live a low carb lifestyle and am a huge proponent of it. That said, I don't think it's appropriate to ask a host to make sure their meal is low carb or keto just for you. Bring a side, an appetizer, ask them what would compliment their menu and bring something low carb style.

I don't expect people to cater to me and in turn they don't expect that I will eat things I cannot or do not want to.
  • lebowski8
    lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow. That seems unusual! Was she cooking just for you, or for a group? It seems like she didn't actually listen to or respect your requests?

I've got vegan friends whom, when hosting, my wife and I have made special plates just for them-- doing research to be totally sure no animal derived ingredients got in the dishes. Now, they'd never reciprocate in the same way and grill up some meat for me. But they've gone out of their way for us in other ways, so that's cool. I've got other friends with severe nut allergies, and I've made sure we got all the allergens boxed up and put deep into the pantry when they visited.

Anyhow, my friends & family understand my diet in and get it. I think LC is easier to comprehend than pure vegan.

For example, to prevent hurt feelings, I already called my mom to be sure she didn't make fudge and cookies for us when we visit this Christmas. For dinners where friends are hosting, I let them know as early as possible about my current food issues and inquire about the menu. Most are usually grilling anyhow, which just means I pass on the bread.

But anyhow, I have learned that when people offer me sweets at work that the phrase "Sorry, I'm watching my sugars!" gets much less push-back --even a sympathetic "ohhhh" then when I say "Sorry, I'm on a diet" (which more often gets push-back of "just one won't hurt you!")
  • jkfriday
    Options
    I take a slab of free-range salami and gnaw on it.
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    ^^^ hahaha!
  • sb4480
    Options
    I don't think she's ignorant per say. This was sort of a last minute dinner invitation and the meal was already in the crock pot. And she made such a point about the asta and such that I didn't have the heart to tell her it might be in the other ingredients, or to ask if she checked those. She's super pregnant with a high energy toddler and both of our SOs were working last night. She was desperate for company I think and honestly, telling her my concerns would have made her cry.

Today I'm going to a baptism armed with salami and almonds!
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    I just tell them I'll bring the main dish and they can make the sides. Otherwise I just know that I'm going to end up eating something that isn't good for me. Given that you actually have a disease, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't tell your friend that you have to be really careful what you eat, and if she doesn't want to make something that you can eat without becoming ill (or if you just don't want to risk it) just tell her next time that you'll bring your own food but you're happy to dine with her. It's rough when people are sensitive to topics like that though....maybe next time you meet up, you can just do so in a context that doesn't include food? Or even just meet for coffee instead.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel like you have to eat what she is serving? You said she was a good friend so she would have understood.

Here would be a typical conversation between me and a good friend,
    Friend: "Eric, are you coming to my cookout this weekend?"
    Me: "I don't know you fat ****, are you going to give me **** for not eating carbs?"
    Friend: "I'm going to do pretty much whatever I want to do you fat tub of goo."
    Me: "Yeah I'll be there and if you talk **** i'm going to punch you in your mouth and crap in your bed."
    Friend: "I dare you."
    Me: "See you at the party."
  • sb4480
    Options
    Why do you feel like you have to eat what she is serving? You said she was a good friend so she would have understood.

Here would be a typical conversation between me and a good friend,
    Friend: "Eric, are you coming to my cookout this weekend?"
    Me: "I don't know you fat ****, are you going to give me **** for not eating carbs?"
    Friend: "I'm going to do pretty much whatever I want to do you fat tub of goo."
    Me: "Yeah I'll be there and if you talk **** i'm going to punch you in your mouth and crap in your bed."
    Friend: "I dare you."
    Me: "See you at the party."

Because I didn't know what she made exactly until I was at her house. She said beef and mushrooms with a side of potatoes, I wasn't expecting beef stew made with franken food. I got there, saw it, saw her in her 8month pregnant exhausted state and said "well crap, this sucks".
  • gladpants
    Options
    I'm taking 2 brats to my dinner party tonight. Cold enough to leave in car. Already cooked and ready to go if I need them. No keto food? BRB im going to get my meat out of the car!
  • sb4480
    Options
    That's a really great idea gladpants.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Always have spare bacon.
  • lebowski8
    lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had to read this twice. At first, i thought you meant brats = spoiled children. Now I got it!
    I'm taking 2 brats to my dinner party tonight. Cold enough to leave in car. Already cooked and ready to go if I need them. No keto food? BRB im going to get my meat out of the car!