Full fat vs low fat

Options
jordymils
jordymils Posts: 230 Member
Just curious what everyone's views are on full fat vs low fat products?
I'm vegetarian so get no saturated fats from meats etc and am lactose intolerant so I eat very little dairy other than greek yoghurt, plus I'm not a big fan of yellow cheese anyway, but am thinking more specifically about soy milk.
I probably have around 1 cup per day (with breakfast and in tea/coffee) and have used both full fat and low fat in the past but not sure if there is really any benefit of having one over the other. I've heard from some people that in general it's best to stick to low fat but then other people say that full fat products are digested easier and, assuming the fats are good fats (not sure where soy falls), it's a good addition to a balanced diet. I also know that some low fat products have sugars etc added to make up for the lack of fats...
Any pearls of wisdom, even if it's just to tell me that it doesn't matter at all as long as it fits in to my macros/calories, would be appreciated :)

Replies

• iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I eat all full fat items. The low/no fat items add extra sugar and crap to make it taste better. I've recently cut out at least 95% of processed foods. Read the ingredients. Amazing what they stuff in there.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    " it doesn't matter at all as long as it fits in to my macros/calories..."

This in the end is all that really matters. I keep full fat and low fat items around to adhere to my macro and calorie goals for the day. Sometimes I have fattier cuts of meat, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I drink full fat milk, sometimes I drink low fat milk or eat a low fat Greek yogurt. It all boils down to getting your macros in and thus in turn, getting your calories regardless if in a deficit, maintenance, or bulk.

Also, not saying to not pay attention to ingredient list in your food, but there are a lot of good products out there...you just have to pay attention.
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Low fat = chemical *kitten* storm.

Full fat = satisfying, whole, natural.

Also, did you know that low-fat milk is actually BLUE after they process it? Look it up. To make a product low fat, low calorie, whatever it takes a whole lot of processing and unnatural ingredients and most of the time has added sugar in the mix.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Also, did you know that low-fat milk is actually BLUE after they process it? Look it up. To make a product low fat, low calorie, whatever it takes a whole lot of processing and unnatural ingredients and most of the time has added sugar in the mix.

You mean I've been missing out on blue milk along with my green eggs and ham!
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

You mean I've been missing out on blue milk along with my green eggs and ham!

I know, right? Such a shame they have to go and turn it back to white. :)
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I do full fat, because it keeps me fuller longer. I even mix my protein shake with full fat coconut milk! Keeps me going for hours!
  • jordymils
    Options
    I eat all full fat items. The low/no fat items add extra sugar and crap to make it taste better. I've recently cut out at least 95% of processed foods. Read the ingredients. Amazing what they stuff in there.

I am aware of this when it comes to MOST low fat products, but I am no stranger to reading ingredients lists and staying away from processed foods. The greek yoghurt I use is low fat but has exactly the same ingredients as the full fat version (minus the extra fat..) and the sugar content is exactly the same.
    Like I said I'm lactose intolerant so other than yoghurt I don't eat dairy and unfortunately soy milk is highly processed regardless of the fat content, but the sugar content is still the same for full or low fat. I've tried almond, rice and oat milk for the less processed non-dairy options but I find that I really need the extra protein from the soy.

Also as far as the chemical, processed side of things goes - I don't know if it's the same in America as it is here in Australia, but 'low fat' products are much more iffy than 'skim' milk products which have essentially just had the fat skimmed off the top.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I think I'll keep going as I am with sticking to the least processed options (this is for my own sake as I hate putting unnatural, chemical **** in my body) but not fretting too much about the fat content as long as it fits in my macros :)
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I find that full fat tastes better in just about anything. I would rather have the extra calories if it means it tastes better and is more satisfying :]

ETA: I do drink 2% milk though, whole milk grosses me out. But I don't drink much milk anyway, and it looks like you don't either!
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I find that full fat tastes better in just about anything. I would rather have the extra calories if it means it tastes better and is more satisfying :]

Totally agree!
  • abrnchood
    abrnchood Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Full fat for me, too. It just tastes better, is better for you, and I find I eat less of it with more satisfaction.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I've been cooking mostly lower fat for so many years,can't handle a lot of fat.We
    eat mostly at home.
    I figure eating lower fat plus staying away from deep fried foods is all to the good for me.
    Everyone has to find & follow their own path.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm not lactose intolerant but I find I feel better if I stick to "light" milk rather than full cream. Interestingly, I process most dairy well but actual cream makes me really sick, a strange sensitivity. Light milk helps me stick to my calorie goal, and I always buy organic. I've been drinking light milk for so long I don't care about the taste difference from full cream, but boy do I notice the taste difference between organic and non organic milk, especially when I order a coffee out. I'd rather eat full fat cheese, though I eat far less cheese since calorie counting. Other than to stick to my calorie goal, the only reason I buy Chobani No Fat Greek yoghurt is because it has twice the protein of other brands available here. I always buy the low fat version of meats, because I was brought up vegetarian the idea of any fat or skin on meat grosses me out. As for fats generally, I eat a lot of them, healthy ones!
  • jordymils
    Options
    I'm not lactose intolerant but I find I feel better if I stick to "light" milk rather than full cream. Interestingly, I process most dairy well but actual cream makes me really sick, a strange sensitivity. Light milk helps me stick to my calorie goal, and I always buy organic. I've been drinking light milk for so long I don't care about the taste difference from full cream, but boy do I notice the taste difference between organic and non organic milk, especially when I order a coffee out. I'd rather eat full fat cheese, though I eat far less cheese since calorie counting. Other than to stick to my calorie goal, the only reason I buy Chobani No Fat Greek yoghurt is because it has twice the protein of other brands available here. I always buy the low fat version of meats, because I was brought up vegetarian the idea of any fat or skin on meat grosses me out. As for fats generally, I eat a lot of them, healthy ones!

Yep I'm much the same. I grew up on skim milk and, even though I don't drink it anymore coz of intolerances, I can't stand the taste of full fat dairy milk. Too rich and 'milky' for me. I'm the same with the yoghurt - I buy chobani because of the protein as it is SUPER helpful in reaching my protein goals on a veggie diet, and they strangely don't make a full fat version...
    I love my fats like coconut/olive oil, nuts, avocado, etc etc. I was put on a no fat diet for a while by a doctor (no fats at all, good or bad) and I did lose 25kg in 8 months and kept it off, but I'd never go back.