Traveling on a Paleo Diet

Options
This Thursday, we will be traveling to visit my parents, who live about 8-9 hours away. What are some good snacks/fast food ideas that will help me stick to my Paleo diet?

I have almonds and beef jerky so far, and possibly a grilled chicken salad from a fast food drive thru. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Easy for travel--I'm a huge Larabar fan. Also maybe dried fruit , veggie sticks, string cheese (if you do dairy).
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs, avocado (pack a knife), Paleo granola bars (if you tolerate those). Jerky would be my main one for sure. I have trouble with fast food salads because they have too many veggies and too little meat, plus the seasonings concern me. Also, the commercial dressings are deal-breakers. So for that, maybe pack a little container of your favourite oil and vinegar. :)

I'll be living in a hotel room for 8 days at Christmas. I will stock the above plus buy a few prepared salads. I can also cook things at my Aunt's house and take it back to the hotel (there's a mini fridge). My big treat will be all the fancy cheese (not Paleo and my tummy will pay for it) that I can get in the south but not at home!
  • janpuzzle31
    janpuzzle31 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is easiest to take snacks, hard boiled eggs, prepared salad with lots of protein in a Tupperware box, nuts and seeds. I have travelled with a friend who is coeliac and really can't have gluten and she stops at MacDonalds and asks for a Big Mac without the bun, it is all served up in a box instead!
  • JeffinRaleigh
    Options
    A question for the OP: do you have any certain types of food that are off limits for you? Just want to understand your approach to Paleo a little better before chiming in with specifics.

(The advice above is good thus far.)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Although I rarely do this, bunless hamburger + salad without crouton, and without dressing from an better fast food place is a viable option. Not Mcdonald, because they meat is not really meat, but wendys are not that terrible.
    Are you worried about the food choices for an extended stay at your parents house or just the problem is this 8-9 hr travelling time? If it is just the travel, pack food the same way as you would for work.
  • macnlace05
    macnlace05 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Jeff, I try not to eat dairy and I also limit fruit to a couple of servings a week. I'm finishing up training for a 10k on Saturday and we are traveling Thursday, so I don't want to do dairy and have my tummy all upset for the race. Other than that, I try to keep the nuts to a minimum right now because I still have about 15 lbs to lose.
  • macnlace05
    Options
    Redheadmommy, yes, I was just looking for different snack/meal ideas for the road. I have a refrigerator at work, so I don't normally pack a cooler, but that may work for eggs and a premade salad or chicken.

My parents house is a whole 'nother story, lol! They are definitely not paleo, so finding substitutes at their house may be interesting... :-)
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Fresh veggies are always a go to for me. I love celery, cucumbers and carrots raw and love to snack on them.

If you are forced to do fast food, I always opt for the unwich at Jimmy Johns. I love the number twelve, minus sprouts.
  • JeffinRaleigh
    Options
    Jeff, I try not to eat dairy and I also limit fruit to a couple of servings a week. I'm finishing up training for a 10k on Saturday and we are traveling Thursday, so I don't want to do dairy and have my tummy all upset for the race. Other than that, I try to keep the nuts to a minimum right now because I still have about 15 lbs to lose.
    Good luck with the training - and in the race!

If you have a cooler I would go with your favorite meats, including some bacon you can fry up ahead of time for the road. Coconut oil is another source of instant fuel - just need to make sure it doesn't melt in the car. :grumble:
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Redheadmommy, yes, I was just looking for different snack/meal ideas for the road. I have a refrigerator at work, so I don't normally pack a cooler, but that may work for eggs and a premade salad or chicken.

My parents house is a whole 'nother story, lol! They are definitely not paleo, so finding substitutes at their house may be interesting... :-)
    If it is just about the 8-9 hrs on the road, I wouldn't worry much about the whole refrigeration /cooler in November. I have to admit I live in a cold climate though. Around here things get frozen in the car in November rather than get spoiled.
  • macnlace05
    Options
    Mmmmmm, bacon! :) I think I will go with the cooler for eggs and veggie snacks. We are in the South, so we will probably need the a/c more than the heat.

Thank you guys for all your suggestions, they have been very helpful!!