Week 1 Day 1 question (noob runner!)

Options
So, I did the first day today and i feel pretty good. I could have pushed harder on the running time but I could feel blisters forming from my running yesterday. Dont worry, Im getting a properly pair of fitted shoes before my next run to hopefully cut down on the blisters.

After the 30 min was up, I noticed I only went 2 miles....should I have finished the full 5K in 30 min?? Was I too slow??

Replies

• IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    No, you won't have finished a full 5K until the last week. And even then, my pace wasn't fast enough to finish a full 5K. After I finished the last week I started running longer so I could finish the full length. Now I run for 40 minutes, no matter what my pace. I'm usually around 3.6 or 3.7 miles.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    When I was done the program I was lucky if I got two miles in the 30 minutes.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies :)
  • becauseofholly
    becauseofholly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Your socks contribute more to blisters than shoes. Don't use cotton socks, they have special running socks that won't make you blister.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    No, you shouldn't be doing 5k because most of the time in week 1 you will be walking. I am on week 3 now and I did an extra 6 minutes with a bit of running today and I was still only doing 4.8 km. Many people finish the program and are still not doing 5km, it's not a big deal, what is important is that eventually you are able to run for 30 minutes. The distance can come later, when you have built some fitness.

Also, great tip about the socks there. Cotton socks don't wick sweat away from your skin and the moisture makes your skin soft and that's where the blisters are coming from. Spend a bit of money on a pair of proper socks when you get your new shoes and you'll avoid the blisters.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    No, you shouldn't be doing 5k because most of the time in week 1 you will be walking. I am on week 3 now and I did an extra 6 minutes with a bit of running today and I was still only doing 4.8 km. Many people finish the program and are still not doing 5km, it's not a big deal, what is important is that eventually you are able to run for 30 minutes. The distance can come later, when you have built some fitness.

Also, great tip about the socks there. Cotton socks don't wick sweat away from your skin and the moisture makes your skin soft and that's where the blisters are coming from. Spend a bit of money on a pair of proper socks when you get your new shoes and you'll avoid the blisters.

WOW, great info!! Thank you!
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options
    I agree with everyone so far!

I just graduated (finished) C25K and am currently running anywhere from a 12:15-13:00 mile. With that being said I still wasn't technically running a 5K on my last day of Week 9 and since then I have just been running until I hit 3.1 miles which is about 40 minutes of running for me. You'll be surprised at how you will be able to add another 10 minutes or so in no time after you're done. I am running my first 5K on Thanksgiving!

Don't worry about your distance this early in the process, just focus on getting those running intervals down! Distance will come with time!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    No, you won't have finished a full 5K until the last week. And even then, my pace wasn't fast enough to finish a full 5K. After I finished the last week I started running longer so I could finish the full length. Now I run for 40 minutes, no matter what my pace. I'm usually around 3.6 or 3.7 miles.

This is me! I, too, started adding more time (after finishing C25K) to reach 5K. It now takes me about 40-42 minutes to run 5K.
    It takes awhile to get your speed up. For now, concentrate on completing each day's training and don't worry about the distance. Congratulations on starting this journey. It's really worth it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My first 5k (pushing a stroller) was 40 minutes. I'm doing one on Thanksgiving (by myself) and will be luck to break 33 minutes after a year of running.

You will be capable of running 5k after week 9. The time it takes you can range anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given great advise.. I was not able to complete the full 5k until I would run about 50 minutes.. My time since has gotten better but everyone goes at their own pace. Don't worry about getting there yet and just follow the program. You will see your speed and distance increase as time goes on. The program is designed to take it slow and get you there, You can do it!!
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Your doing great! I'm on week 4!