Isometrics

Options
For those that have to be more discreet, or don't want to be noticed exercising, simple isometrics are great. I was doing some wrist stretches at my desk and I wondered if there might "be an app for that"... and of course there is, and its free: Isometric Exercises for Android has a bunch of easy simple isometrics, stretches, and a bunch of other stuff I have not explored yet. It has a "trainer" which provides a countdown clock for timed exercises and a History feature that tracks what you do.

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    That's awesome... thanks for posting it! I'm heading out now but will come back to this later tonight.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I'm off to google "isometrics" . . .
  • chani8
    Options
    Great idea!! I learned so much, even how to get more out of basic exercises. But here is a link to a great Deskerciser routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA78Dtu2-q4
  • chani8
    Options
    Thanks for this thread!! Now when I stand here typing at the computer, I do an isometric workout! ;)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I thought I knew what isometrics were but Googled it to be sure. I came across this article from the Mayo Clinic that contained this paragraph:
    It's also important to note that isometric exercises generally aren't recommended for people who have high blood pressure or heart problems, because the large increase in muscle tension caused by isometric exercises can dramatically increase blood pressure.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/isometric-exercises/AN02031

I thought I'd share it just in case this applied to anyone here.
  • CamillaHerold
    CamillaHerold Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Good information, thanks for posting for those with high BP. I am surprised to learn it. It seems fairly low intensity when I do it, but I have low blood pressure and am not that strong. However just doing a 5 min isometric routine at my desk today certainly made me feel energized and got my heart pumping. So maybe it raised my BP, in a good way for me.