Can't Do squats right now..so what should I do

Options
SezxyStef
SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
due to an injury in my muscle (upper part right below my hip bone)

And my physio friend slapped me for even deloading and doing them....:sad:

Can I do something else like Glute bridges? or another suggestion maybe?

I don't want to hurt myself more but I also want to keep doing something...

Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    due to an injury in my muscle (upper part right below my hip bone)

And my physio friend slapped me for even deloading and doing them....:sad:

Can I do something else like Glute bridges? or another suggestion maybe?

I don't want to hurt myself more but I also want to keep doing something...

Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated.
    physio?
    what kind of injury? gym or outside?

if this is an injury that required physical therapy, I would as your ortho or PT.
    Personally, mine said if it hurts, dont do it. However, I cannot give medical advice.

If this is outside of a medical injury, honestly nothing can replace the squat properly. Since its a compound exercise, you can do lunges which will hit similar muscles. Leg extensions, leg curls, hib adductor/abductur machine, calf raises.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    No physio....just a friend I talked to about it is a physio
    I was getting into position to start my squats and my leg went wonky (not during squats but before I started) did my squats and was fine till the next workout and it was a no go.

and that is what my friend said...if it hurts don't do it...well it doesn't hurt when I squat (most of the time) if I deload etc but he told me to take it easy, so I am.

But thanks for the advice....

I will give it one more week and see what is up then prior to adding in a bunch of different things to make up for the squats
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What other lower body lifts are you doing?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I have still done my Deadlifts (even those I am iffy about) unless I really get a good stretch in it hurts same with rows...found that out last night. :grumble:

I am on the SL 5x5 and it seems that any lift or movement in general that requires me to crouch or lift my leg with a bend causes an issue..until my leg "pops"...yes audible pop that my husband hears then I am good for a while.

I do have an appointment tomorrow with a physiotherapist to get evaluated as my friend is in another province and can't really do it over skype...:laugh:

Thoughts are it's one of these four primary adductor muscles: the gracilis, adductor longus, adductor brevis, or adductor magnus.

So if there are any lifts I can do (at home) that will help prevent the strenght/muscle loss and keep me going muchly appreciated.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you are hurt, then don't lift! Working thru an injury is rarely a good thing. Muscle pain, tendinitis, stuff like that can be worked thru. A hip popping audibly- I'd make sure I knew what it was from before going back to lifts that make it hurt.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    If you are hurt, then don't lift! Working thru an injury is rarely a good thing. Muscle pain, tendinitis, stuff like that can be worked thru. A hip popping audibly- I'd make sure I knew what it was from before going back to lifts that make it hurt.

Agreed hence my appointment tomorrow...

They don't hurt if I stretch lots pre workout....but I didn't think the rows would do that so I did stop and stretch lots.

My next lifting day is tomorrow and the appointment is pre workout so I will know what is up tomorrow...

But that being said if there are lower body lifts I can do that don't require crouching motion I am so in.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    So I did have my appointment and it's my gracilis.

No Squats, DL or Rows for this week at all. I have stretches to do 3x a day which seem to help doesn't hurt as much to walk atm.

Deload after this week is done (not sure how much of a deload)

Thinking 100lb for squats (40lb deload)
    150 for DL (was at 190)
    90 for rows.(was at 110)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you're hurt, don't push it. Consider the other things you can do that won't affect your injury. For example, can you do pull ups? Bench press? This might be a time for you to accomplish a few other things beyond a squat PR.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Yes I have been still doing the upper body workouts...

OHP up to 75lbs and benching.

Need to get a chinup bar as that is one of my goals too.

Not pushing it prefer to heal up