Exercises during Night shift

Options
rusav
rusav Posts: 11 Member
I was wondering if anyone does any exercise during night shift. Sometimes, I do squats every night shift. I wish I could do more but I wouldn't want to disturb my patients. Any ideas?

Replies

• XianC
    XianC Posts: 93
    Options
    I probably should but I don't. I use the excuse that I don't want to sweat too much and then have to go see a client while looking or smelling like I just ran a 5k. I'm sure there are beneficial things I could do though. Heck, even just a walk around the building would be a good idea.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am a home care nurse and YES, there are quiet "exercises" you can do!

I have been doing isometrics for 6-8 months so far and I noticed a difference in only one month. I don't really follow any plan other than to do them when I am standing still performing a task. I'll tighten my leg muscles to the count of 20 or so. As time goes on you can do it for longer. Be aware though that you will be sore so start slowly. You can tighten any group of muscles you want.

My legs have taken on a whole new shape for the better and I've seen more results than working out at the gym on the machines for a year. My thighs used to be that of a typical 49 yr old; roundish and a bit flabby. They are now more angular and slender. It's quite the surprise to say the least. I also do them in the car or while lying in bed, in the grocery line, waiting for the microwave, etc.

I just added abdominal isometrics which basically is holding in the gut for short periods of time. I have noticed results in only 3 weeks. Here's an instructional link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm

A physical therapist was instructing me in how to use various machines at a school gym with a former patient. My patient would work reps on a machine and at a certain "flex" point, would hold it to the count of around 5. She said at that point is where the muscle was working the hardest and building.

Anyway I hate abdominal exercises and have been reading that planks are quite beneficial. I asked a trainer if they are similar to the isometric exercise and he said yes.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit lucky in this dept. I work with 3-5 people during my shift and I have spells of downtime of anywhere from 15-30 mins. I take advantage of this to go outside and walk during the week and on weekends I'l even jog too. The peeps I work with are supportive of my goals and will cover for me if needed when I am away from my desk.
  • XianC
    XianC Posts: 93
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • rusav
    rusav Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank You Ctalimenti. I'll start with the Isometrics. Sounds good as it is 'quiet'.

lacroyx Lucky you! Your colleagues are awesome!

Thanks all! ;-)
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I usually hit the gym after my shift. But the last week, I have been doing small things at work at the gym here so for a little extra
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I did P90X with resistance bands at work....right now, I'm doing Insanity at work. Day 3 done.