Newbie here...advice needed!!

Options
Hi ,
I have just discovered this group and this concept of emtwl.
My story...I gained a lot during my pregnancy...went from 122 pounds to. 178 pounds. I managed to knock off 35 pounds with only cardio and basically eating around 1200 calories.( I didn't really track so not too sure but roughly around 1100-1200) calories. My weight is currently around 144 pounds. For the last 6 months I have my lost any weight both on the scale and inch wise. I also used to feel very lethargic n sleepy n has very little energy. Them I started reading about weight training and saw the results on MFP.I was always scared about doing weights but I decided to go ahead and bought the boom nrolfw. best decision ever. I am so so enjoying doing weight training.feel so much stronger.i started reading about TDEE..according to scooby calculator, my TDEE for maintenance is around 2152 nd with 1721 with a 20% cut. Now I am really really scared to start eating so much. I am increased my calories to 1500 with my macros set for 40/30/30. I do nrolfw 3 days and do interval running on off days. So my question is is 1400 calories enough for me? Do I need to increase it...am just too scared coz it took me forever to lose that 35 pounds.but I also want to do this for the long run. I have always been on a yo yo diet ( even before my pregnancy) now I want to knock off the last 10 kilos without gaining it back
So pl advice...I am so in love with this concept of emtwl but I confess I am scared:(
Thank u so much...

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi ,
    I have just discovered this group and this concept of emtwl.
    My story...I gained a lot during my pregnancy...went from 122 pounds to. 178 pounds. I managed to knock off 35 pounds with only cardio and basically eating around 1200 calories.( I didn't really track so not too sure but roughly around 1100-1200) calories. My weight is currently around 144 pounds. For the last 6 months I have my lost any weight both on the scale and inch wise. I also used to feel very lethargic n sleepy n has very little energy. Them I started reading about weight training and saw the results on MFP.I was always scared about doing weights but I decided to go ahead and bought the boom nrolfw. best decision ever. I am so so enjoying doing weight training.feel so much stronger.i started reading about TDEE..according to scooby calculator, my TDEE for maintenance is around 2152 nd with 1721 with a 20% cut. Now I am really really scared to start eating so much. I am increased my calories to 1500 with my macros set for 40/30/30. I do nrolfw 3 days and do interval running on off days. So my question is is 1400 calories enough for me? Do I need to increase it...am just too scared coz it took me forever to lose that 35 pounds.but I also want to do this for the long run. I have always been on a yo yo diet ( even before my pregnancy) now I want to knock off the last 10 kilos without gaining it back
    So pl advice...I am so in love with this concept of emtwl but I confess I am scared:(
    Thank u so much...

use best estimates all around, log food accurately, meaning weigh everything but liquids which you measure volume of.

And depending on daily life outside exercise, but with that little baby, are you really sedentary equal to 45 hr desk job with commute time sitting?
    or is your daily life actually more.
    And then exercise added on to that even more yet?
    How does the time actually add up?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart
  • Suzd1976
    Options
    Actually he is a toddler( 2 years ) and he goes to nursery so I don't really have to run around a lot.I am a housewife so am basically at home.i am sorry but I am very confused with the estimates( guess I am little slow)
    So should I eat acc to scooby 's calculator ( which I set at moderately active)?i am currently eating around 1300-1400 calories
    Pl advice?
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Actually he is a toddler( 2 years ) and he goes to nursery so I don't really have to run around a lot.I am a housewife so am basically at home.i am sorry but I am very confused with the estimates( guess I am little slow)
    So should I eat acc to scooby 's calculator ( which I set at moderately active)?i am currently eating around 1300-1400 calories
    Pl advice?
    I suggest moderate activity. If you eat the 1721 your net will probably be around 1450-1500, after your calorie burn from lifting. I would also suggest a 15% cut to start since you have about 20 more lbs you want to lose. So eating 1400 calories is too low.
  • heybales
    Options
    So that other thread you mention a very bigger exercise routine.

Spell out how much time doing the various things you plan on doing?

From that other thread, that ain't no 3-5 hrs per week.

No need shooting your body in the metabolism if you think more is better.

And yes, 2lbs per week is unrealistic unless you want some of the weight to be muscle mass, and be fighting the weight loss and probably losing the battle, not the fat.
  • Suzd1976
    Options
    Currently I am doing nrolfw( stage one). I try to do Hiit after lifting but since the last 2 workouts ,I feel too tired so have skipped it. The other 3 says I do interval running for 30 mins. I'm at home almost every day. Also I am planning to start taking walks in the evenings since the weather has become really nice
    So considering my exercise n my activity,should I increase my calories from 1400 to1741 since that is my TDEE - 15% acc to scooby?
  • heybales
    Options
    Ok, so your new planned activity level has been reduced then, that's good. And the TDEE level is according to you actually, rough estimate. But that is the method if you want to actually benefit from your workout.
    You'd have to answer the question as to decent guess of TDEE level because you didn't mention all your timing. 2 hr walk daily, or 5 min? 60 min lifting session, or 20 min? On weekly level, those add up.

If you are undereating now causing body stress because it's not getting the calories it would like, it's not about to make improvements that require even more energy supply. So basically you would just be getting calorie burn during the workout. And body probably compensates (does in studies) by slowing you down for all other daily activities, making up for what you burned during the exercise, or more that makes up for it.

What most who jump in to exercise don't recognize is, exercise if done right breaks the body down. It's the rest for recovery and repair that builds it back up stronger and better, if diet allows.

And yes, HIIT after lifting is impossible if using the same muscles. If you could do a good HIIT routine, then you did a bad lifting routine.
    HIIT is the cardio-only person's answer for a lifting like routine when they don't want to do one. But you are.
    If you did that HIIT routine correctly first, think you could lift as much during the workout? Not a chance. And that means the muscle is not actually being overloaded for what it could do, it's just plain tired.

The NROLFW is using the term and application poorly, as do most sites using it as a fad name now to include. The majority of what is talked about is just plain good old intervals. Which has it's place for increasing your VO2max and lactate threshold and burning more calories in short amount of time (I think their purpose for using it), but not the same response from the body as real HIIT workout would.

And actually, if those are sprinting intervals (compared to jog/walk intervals) on the other days you are doing while you body wants to repair from the lifting workout (24-36 hrs) - you are negatively effecting both workouts effort and time.
    Let your body try to recover, to improve, to use all your food supply to do so, and use fat for normal energy use otherwise.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I did NROL4W last year, but as I recall they only wanted you to do lifting 3 days a week in stage 1. No extra cardio. Stage 1 is all about strength and building on your weights. I would recommend holding off on the Hitt. As Heybales said, it will negatively affect your lifting. Good luck.
  • Suzd1976
    Options
    So maybe I will do 2 days of interval running instead of 3 days. I am really scared to let go of cardio altogether and also I really enjoy running.
    And as for my walks, I have just started...around 20 mins. So should I up my calories straight to 1700 or should I increase it by 100 every week? I feel 1400 is little less for me as I feel hungry.
    Thank u so very much for yr help
  • heybales
    Options
    Increase slowly probably, figure out where it'll go.

Don't have to let go of cardio, but if you want full benefit from lifting and the required repair from it, and why do it you didn't, the rest day cardio needs to be in what has been called Active Recovery HR zone, otherwise known by fad name fat-burning zone.

Some find it so slow they'd rather just walk. But it can be done. Actually as your body is trained for that lower zone, it'll get faster too.