Recovering from Surgery

Options
vmarie74
vmarie74 Posts: 26 Member
I purchased the book right before I tore my rotator cuff doing kickboxing. I'm back at kickboxing but my shoulder is really weak and still sore. I tore it 70% and had surgery end of June. I haven't tried a push up and can't lift anything over my head.

I really want to start but would like to know from some of you that have gone through this any tips and advice with a recovering shoulder.

Replies

• makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Did you do physical therapy to help with range of motion and strength?

Lifting is fine as you start light and don't exaggerate the chest presses and push ups. I'd do modified pushups ( 45 degree angle) and possible avoid chest/ bench press for a while. If you did do therapy, they should've advised you on what to do and progress in the gym.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Did you do physical therapy to help with range of motion and strength?

Lifting is fine as you start light and don't exaggerate the chest presses and push ups. I'd do modified pushups ( 45 degree angle) and possible avoid chest/ bench press for a while. If you did do therapy, they should've advised you on what to do and progress in the gym.

This. My first question was also going to be if you did physical therapy and if so their advice on functionality. I would think that strengthening the muscles around the joint would help. That being said, I can see not being able to lift your hands over your head . . . you can substitute with upright rows, shrugs, side raises, or any other shoulder exercise that keeps the weight shoulder height and below. They're not as effective, but they'll still work the shoulders.
  • vmarie74
    vmarie74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I did do PT - had to go back to the surgery center for another manipulation to break through the scar tissue. I ran out of PT after 30 visits and my insurance wouldn't allow any more. Unfortunately, I am still experiencing slight discomfort and not full range of motion. But I think strengthening will really help. My PT said be cautious and slow to try push ups and absolutely nothing ever over my head that is heavy.

I really appreciate the input. I really was so excited to start this before all this happened.