Exercise Ball

Options
As part of my plan to transform my work environment into an exercise-friendly place, I decided to get an exercise ball (aka "balance ball") to use at my desk as a chair, for the most part, and for stretching, crunches, etc. I brought it to work and sat on it for about 5 hours yesterday, and it worked all sorts of areas in my lower back, abs, thighs and pelvis. I am actually a bit sore in some unusual places! I think that's a good sign that it will be a useful part of my plan.

There are innumerable exercise opportunities with the exercise ball while sitting at your desk. You can work various muscles groups, flex them, hold for bit, pulse, twist, lean, lift, etc etc etc. Frankly there are so many possibilities, I am going to have to work with it for a few days to see what kind of routine I want to put together. It was supposed to come with a DVD and wall chart, but both were missing from my package. Amazon offered me a deal to buy them separately so I should be getting them by tomorrow. Once I've reviewed those, I'll have a better idea about how to get the most benefit from it.

I used an exercise ball as a chair about 15 years ago, when I returned to work after pregnancy and my second C-section. I had no muscle tone in my lower abs and everything hurt. I stuck with it for a few months but then gradually it became a novelty and I took it home... where it gathered dust for a few years until it got popped by one of my kids. This time, I am taking it far more seriously. It's not a novelty anymore; it is part of my plan to regain overall fitness.

I'll report regularly here as I use it and learn what it can do for me.

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I think that's fantastic!! I've been wary of the balls because I'm uncoordinated and likely to fall on my face. One of my kids needed physiotherapy for many years and so of course I've seen how useful the balls can be. However, my DD always had a therapist holding on to her the whole time she was on the ball, but there is no one here to hold on to me, to keep me from falling. ;)

Anyway, keep on it! Keep the ball rolling! :) It's a great thing, the exercise ball!

I'm doing isometrics, btw. Also great!!
  • CamillaHerold
    CamillaHerold Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about rolling around! Best to keep both feet on the floor when just sitting. It's also important to get the right size. At 5'5" I got the middle sized one. I also bought a sort of circular stand thing you can sit the ball in, to hold it still. I have not received it yet, but I'll post after I've tried it. It may end up making it harder to use the ball as a chair, since it won't move easily when you get up and sit down. But it would be good for beginners like me on some exercises, where extra balance and strength are needed. If nothing else the stand will be useful for storing the ball so it doesn't go wandering around the office!

So far today I've sat on it for 4 hours. I am noticing that there is no way to sit totally still, as I frequently did in my chair (a very expensive leather office chair but clearly made for a 6' man). I am constantly moving around a little bit. Sometimes I bounce too, just for the fun of it. Not quite Tigger-style, just a little tiny up-and-down that makes me feel like a kid who just got a new toy!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    LOL!! Aw, give a few Tigger bounces!! :)

The stand makes sense as does keeping feet on the floor. Let us know how it goes. It really sounds great!!
  • CamillaHerold
    CamillaHerold Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Back on the Ball! Put in about 3 hours today, and am feeling some more minor soreness in various spots around the pelvis. I discussed it with the physical therapist today and she thought it was a great idea for helping get my lower back and pelvic muscles in shape. She advised sitting on it a couple of hours in the morning and then a couple of hours in the afternoon. She thinks it will make me too sore and tire out a lot of small muscles if I sit on it for one long stretch.

The great thing about this ball is how many other ways it can be used for exercise, apart from sitting on it! At any point I can turn from my desk and stretch my back, do some crunches, tuck my pelvis, bounce, do leg lifts, etc etc. The base has holes in it so you can thread stretchy bands up through it and do arm exercises. I look forward to getting that DVD and wall chart to see more ways to use it.

I just like the idea that the place where I sit can be a base of exercise rather than a place for slouching and being lazy! At any point in the day, especially if I am getting drowsy or weary of a task, I can take a quick break and get my body moving and blood pumping in a few seconds.