Articles

Options
13»

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    “I was in a lot of pain but couldn’t give up. I ran a Commonwealth Games qualifying time last year and wanted to improve on it. I missed it by a minute and a half, which is frustrating.”

She missed it by a minute and a half after running a marathon with a broken nose and cracked rib!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    She's an ultrarunner too. Wow.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Somebody posted the new Marc Parent article somewhere. I finally got a chance to read it. I was in tears by the end.

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/my-own-private-half
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Readers, when it comes to sports nutrition, I may not have the "right" background. I don't hold a "fancy degree," or have even a "rudimentary grasp" of things like "carbs and protein and fat." I'm not "certain" how glycogen is "pronounced."

But I know what works. And by that, I mean I know what foods will reliably get me to the finish line. This is knowledge I've gleaned not from some fancy book, but from real life.

Before we go any further, let me clarify: I'm not talking here about the traditional food-as-fuel model. I'm talking about the Mark Remy food-as-carrot model. As in the "carrot" half of the carrot/stick approach. Except not an actual carrot, a metaphorical one, because honestly, who dreams of a carrot waiting for them at the end of a run? I mean, come on.

With all respect to Runner's World columnist Liz Applegate, Ph.D., and her own Best Foods for Runners, I have my own criteria for what constitutes a truly great food for runners. Here they are:

Is the food delicious?
    Is the food something I can picture in my head?
    Is there a reasonably good chance that I'll be able to acquire the food and eat large quantities of it soon after I finish?

All of the following comestibles meet these criteria. Here, then, are the REAL best foods for runners -- the ones that, merely by imagining them, will keep you moving.

For the list: http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/the-real-best-foods-for-runners
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Readers, when it comes to sports nutrition, I may not have the "right" background. I don't hold a "fancy degree," or have even a "rudimentary grasp" of things like "carbs and protein and fat." I'm not "certain" how glycogen is "pronounced."

But I know what works. And by that, I mean I know what foods will reliably get me to the finish line. This is knowledge I've gleaned not from some fancy book, but from real life.

Before we go any further, let me clarify: I'm not talking here about the traditional food-as-fuel model. I'm talking about the Mark Remy food-as-carrot model. As in the "carrot" half of the carrot/stick approach. Except not an actual carrot, a metaphorical one, because honestly, who dreams of a carrot waiting for them at the end of a run? I mean, come on.

With all respect to Runner's World columnist Liz Applegate, Ph.D., and her own Best Foods for Runners, I have my own criteria for what constitutes a truly great food for runners. Here they are:

Is the food delicious?
    Is the food something I can picture in my head?
    Is there a reasonably good chance that I'll be able to acquire the food and eat large quantities of it soon after I finish?

All of the following comestibles meet these criteria. Here, then, are the REAL best foods for runners -- the ones that, merely by imagining them, will keep you moving.

For the list: http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/the-real-best-foods-for-runners

I am IN LOVE with this!!! ????????????
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Tried it out today. When i was at the supermarket this afternoon I bought a strawberry cream cheese filled cupcake. As I unpacked my groceries I put the cupcake on the counter to encourage me to do my long run today. I did the run, thinking about the cupcake, and i didn't do any walking at all. Success!

It was a good cupcake!