Protein Ideas for Breakfast?

Options
Hey guys. I'm looking for ideas on getting more protein in the mornings. My breakfast is usually steel oats, frozen fruit 1/2c almond milk. I get less than 10g of protein from this. What could I do that isn't ridiculously high in carbs but also not soy based? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• AnastasiaGenest
    AnastasiaGenest Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have garden of life raw fit Protien mixed with almond milk for breakfast. It has 28g Protien and 4g net carbs
  • HazelChase
    HazelChase Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! Also, all veggies have at least some protein! Broccoli has 5 grams per cup! Beans are totally awesome for protein as well!
  • BananaBee3
    Options
    I was just thinking of this yesterday morning when I made a tofu scramble. Obviously, that wouldn't be for you, but there aren't very many protein-rich vegan breakfast ideas!

It seems that a protein shake would be the way to go...maybe add some oats and pb in there for added protein!
  • arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Eat to Live has a Cookbook that has wonderful ideas for breakfast. I personally like a smoothie that consists of dark leafy kale or spinach (spinach has the most protein), almond milk, 1/3 banana, berries... or you can make a green one. I posted quite a few recipes under Vitamix...

Cheers!
  • jiminybingo
    jiminybingo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! Also, all veggies have at least some protein! Broccoli has 5 grams per cup! Beans are totally awesome for protein as well!

Black beans in my oatmeal... food processed chick peas... maybe 1/4th to 1/3rd... a little maple syrup :) I am going to try that actually, can't think of why it would taste too bad, thanks!
  • jiminybingo
    Options
    Add some protein powder to the dough and make fresh bread with raisins, cinnamon, to cover up the taste. Will take a little experimentation but I would think you could substitute protein powder for some of the flour at a 1:1 ratio, more or less. Anyone ever do this?

I have only done it with "ployes" which are the name of a french Canadian version of crepes and are pretty much like thin pancakes. Ployes benefit is that they are vegan but unless you live near Canada or France it might be hard to find the pre-made mix. I used to live in Maine so I could get them all the time. The mix is just buckwheat flour, regular flour, and baking soda - add water. Stick some protein powder in there, make a batch, freeze them, ready every morning. I like a little peanut butter spread thin on them :)
  • colleendooner
    colleendooner Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I quite like making chick pea flour/gram flour pancakes - you just need to add a little water and seasoning to the flour and gently fry....served with wilted spinach and scrambled tofu and baked beans.
  • MemphisHellFire
    MemphisHellFire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    tofu scramble with chilli beans :)
  • jiminybingo
    Options
    I quite like making chick pea flour/gram flour pancakes - you just need to add a little water and seasoning to the flour and gently fry....served with wilted spinach and scrambled tofu and baked beans.

Never tried it but I definitely will :) whats the gram flour part?
  • colleendooner
    colleendooner Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In the UK, you can get gram/chick pea flour in some large supermarkets or Asian supermarkets (used in onion bhajis or pakoras). It has more protein than other flour I think and a lower GI - see here for a nutritional breakdown http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4406/2

They also make a nice substitute for bread if you want a wrap/sandwich. I had some last night with homemade tomato salsa and chopped up veggie sausages.