Losing weight?

Options
sleepyjen
sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
Hi there!

I hopped on the scale for giggles this morning, figuring I'd have at least gained a couple of pounds from lifting, eating more, having just had my period, and consuming a beer both last Friday and this past Friday (typically if I have a drink, I have no weight loss at all for at least a week to ten days). I hadn't been on the scale since the 14th. And lo, today I found I'd lost 1.5 pounds.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to see that loss, but completely mystified as to how it could happen. I'm also a wee bit concerned that I'm not building muscle if I'm already experiencing loss, though looking at me I am guessing it's fat loss, not muscle stagnation or erosion. I'm using the Maggie Wang calculator for calories, based on the NROLW book, and NOT using the fat loss suggested calories but the regular, full-on workout calories. The maintenance level there is about 160 below what MFP says my maintenance is, but that's not enough of a cut to lose 1.5! Again, I'm not complaining! Just wondering.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Jen

Replies

• BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on the loss!
    Second, I think that the calorie calculator in the book is a VERY general guideline. When I first started the program, I lost more than the 300 cal deficit should have allowed. I had a lot to lose, so I didn't care. But we moved when I was halfway through the program and my lifestyle became much more active overall. Had I continued to follow the books recommendations, I would have been eating at a 750-1000 cal deficit a day. Fortunately I had a BodyMedia Fit so I knew to increase my cals. So it's possible you are just more active than you realize and you are burning more than you think.
    Third, our bodies are strange. Be prepared to see the scale numbers move around a bit. Maybe you've been eating fewer carbs, less sodium, etc that can cause a bit of a water shift, but I will say in my experience with lifting, when I see a loss, it's a true fat loss:)
  • sleepyjen
    Options
    Thanks! And what's funny is that actually, I've had MORE sodium! lol. I had Indian food on Friday night/leftovers yesterday. I suppose it's possible my metabolism is growing substantially, however nutty that sounds, because my deficit on a week is pretty low--less than 1000 cals. According to their guidelines once BMI falls under overweight and into normal, calorie intake increases dramatically--looking forward to that :) And perhaps I'll start early, as I get close!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I still lose weight pretty regularly - I haven't gained anything since starting so I wouldn't think you are strange lol I know it will slow down as I progress but I am OK with that ... :)
  • sleepyjen
    Options
    Good to know! Like I said, I'm not complaining!