Just started C25k!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I started again on 12/24 after starting last June and quitting at week 5 due to calf pain. This time running slower and really stretching my calves prior to the run. So far so good, the previous calf pain was surprisingly quite debilitating and ended up lasting several weeks. But I also love the cool dry weather for exercise - can't stand the humidity in the summer - so this is the perfect time to start again.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Letzdothiz, Bluizflame, MamaDubbs65 and Alwayssohungy! You are all doing great.
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I only have one run left to complete the program. I am loving. I haven't ran 3 miles yet. But have ran 1.75 in 29 min. So I will get there
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how the program prepares you for the next workout. I'm learning to trust it because I couldn't run 1 minute straight when I started and today I did 6, 4, and 6 minute runs!! Keep up the good work :D

My rule of thumb is that, if you finished the last workout, you can do the next one. My theory is that fairies created the program: "Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust!"
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I only have one run left to complete the program. I am loving. I haven't ran 3 miles yet. But have ran 1.75 in 29 min. So I will get there

congrats, you are almost there. just keep running and yes you will be able to run a 5K.
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Letzdothiz, Bluizflame, MamaDubbs65 and Alwayssohungy! You are all doing great.

as Plexgut said: congrats to you all of you to have started this c25k.
    this is the best program to get you running without noticing it!
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options

congrats, you are almost there. just keep running and yes you will be able to run a 5K.
    Thank you. I will be doing the last run of the program today. Hoping to do 2 miles.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Thank you. I will be doing the last run of the program today. Hoping to do 2 miles.

I'd predict just over 40 minutes if your first 5k is coming up in the next couple of months.

If you don't have a training plan yet, I highly recommend either a 10k app, or the SmartCoach program over at www.runnersworld.com. It will give you a personalized plan based on your current abilities and goals.

I did Coach Jenny Hatfield's Half Marathon training plan, so I'd also recommend her website as a resource: http://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    You have to run better than 6 mph to complete a 5k in 30 minutes or less. You're not going to be up to that after completing this program. Not saying that to burst bubbles, but rather to tell you this: YOU WILL BE ABLE TO RUN A 5K AFTER COMPLETING THIS PROGRAM. If it takes you 40 minutes, it takes you 40 minutes. Big deal. It took me over 40 to run one when I finished the program, but I did it. Without walking. I've gotten it down to under 35 now. I'm proud of that. Only way to get faster is to complete it then work on it.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    wadedawg, you're doing great. I'm doing 5K (without walking) in about 40 minutes now. My goal is 30-35 minutes (30 would be so great!). It's fun working hard to make that time go down
    My first 5K was run in 50 minutes so I've come a long way and am pleased with my progress. I've stalled a bit lately but I also haven't been working at it that hard, so I'm kind of in "rest" mode and just enjoying the runs. Come spring, though, I'll be ready and strong and able to bring my time down some more.
  • MamaDubbs65
    MamaDubbs65 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How's it going Bluizflame?

I just completed week 6 day 2 of Ease into 5k today which included 2 -10 minutes runs with a 3 minute walk in between. Saturday will be my first 20 minute run - yikes!!

Hope all is going good for you!
  • violetcharms
    violetcharms Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, just downloaded the app and am trying it out over my long lunch break today!

Excited and nervous =)
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I completed W1D1 today on a gym treadmill and love it! I kept my pace between 3.8 - 4.5 and used a 2.0 incline for about half of it.

I've done a 2-3 mile walk/jog on my own at a park, but this app is definitely more challenging with the timed intervals. I just don't want to wait two days to do it again!
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I actually stopped using it for a little bit. The program that is. I was actually able to complete a whole mile running at a 4.0 pace on Monday. I had to stop because it was ZUMBA time! Yesterday i decided to give it another go and see how long i could run. I ended up running for almost 2 miles!!! Did a 2 min warm up, and a 4 min cooldown with a total of 34min. So i was running for 28 minutes!! I also do it on the treadmill at a 1% incline. I remember reading somewhere that if you run on a treadmill without any incline that it puts strain on your legs like you were running down hill.

I discovered that running at a 5.0 pace was a little too much for me. So i just increased my speed of walking till i was doing a fast walk at 4.0, but decided to turn it into a jog instead of a fast walk. Made things MUCH easier to breath and not get the side pain just by slowing down my run!!