Needing help to restart my weight loss

Options
molissep
molissep Posts: 452 Member
I've read through a lot of your posts several times, as well as the suggestions/help you give to MFP members and you guys are great and have a lot of good info, so maybe you can give me some guidance...

A little about me - I've been overweight my entire life. In the past 5 years or so I have taken it more seriously to try to loose the weight, as I am getting older and beginning to see medical issues which I think may be related to my weight, such as high blood pressure, which I take a water pill to keep that under control. My last few readings at the Dr have been going up and I'd like to loose some weight to see if the pressure will also go down. Diabetes and heart disease both run in my family. I am not currently at risk for either of these as per my Dr - my bloodwork and all other tests have come back fine. I enjoy being active and working out - but since I haven't been seeing results I'm getting extremely discouraged and could use some help :)

Things you should try to provide for specific intake questions:

Provide your stats (height/weight/age/bodyfat% if you know it/etc)
5'7"/210.8/31/38 (BF came from BF analyzer in October at the gym)

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average?

What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? (GRAMS, not percent!)
P - 130, C - 150, F - 50

Do you use a food scale and measure everything?
When I was loosing weight at the beginning yes, then started eyeballing, as I'm a creature of habit and eat the same things/meals frequently. Then I stopped, but as of last week yes, down to the coffee creamer and peanut butter

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?)
Yes

Do you take cheat days or days off?
Yes, try to keep it to 2x a month

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period?
Over the last two years 43 lbs. October 2012 gained 10 lbs and have not been able to get them off to date, I keep loosing and gaining the same few lbs

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity within the last couple of months?
I have a desk job M-F and spend very little of my working hours, 8:30-4:30 moving around unless I go shopping during lunch. I work out 4x a week - 2 days of cardio/HIIT and 2 days of lifting, one of those days is with a trainer and the other is following the plan the trainer provides. Up until August I was regularly running as my cardio but started developing hip pain and after my last 5k decided to back off to see if the pain would subside and it has.

How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period.
Since October 2012 - loosing and gaining same few lbs

Are you breastfeeding?
No

Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS?
Bloodwork shows my thyroid is functioning properly, but I was recently sent for an ultrasound for enlarged glans which the Dr noticed during 2 consecutive visits. The ultrasound was clean. No PCOS

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    A couple of questions:

1) November 15th shows 887 calories logged. Is this accurate?
    2) November 24th has 308 calories logged. Is this accurate?
  • molissep
    Options
    1) No I was at a wedding that night and only logged what I ate during the day so I could determine what I had left for that night.
    2) No, I spent the day with friends doing crafts and grazing the snacks we bought. There were various items I had samples of and couldn't track them. I allowed that to be a cheat day
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Were the past two days at ~1280 and ~1350 accurate?
  • molissep
    Options
    I'm not seeing the 1280 day you are referring to. Monday was accurate at 1353 and today ended at 1539, also accurate.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Thanks, that was my mistake. I had looked at today while it wasn't complete. Normally I omit the current date.
  • molissep
    Options
    No problem, just making sure it wasn't me being confused!
  • molissep
    Options
    bumping as a reminder :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • molissep
    Options
    bumping :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    bumping :smile:

Sorry...this one slipped through the gaps. We will get to it asap.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You mention in the original OP that you started weighing and logging more accurately the week before. Have you continued with that level of accuracy?

Also, do you have your weight, in weekly increments over the last 8 week. During that time, did you have any significant change in activity.
  • molissep
    Options
    Hi Sarauk2sf!

Yes, I have been weighing and measuring everything, as well as logging every single item. I did not complete my diary last Thursday or Friday however. Typically I prelog my diary the night before and then adjust as I weigh/measure.

I can give you estimates of my weight over the last 6 weeks, that's when I got back to the gym and had an assesment with a trainer. I don't have exact numbers unfortunately. I tend not to log fluctuations in my weight unless I get them consecutively.

I started working out again on 10/19 so I will start from there:
    10/19 - 212 lbs
    10/26 - 11/23 - 210-211 lbs
    11/30 - 212 lbs
    12/4 - 209.6 lbs
    12/5 - 208 lbs

From 10/26-11/23 there were no significant changes. I would be up half a pound, down half, it was back and forth. 11/30 I was back up, likely to indulging in Thanksgiving dinner for two nights. Yesterday and today have been the biggest changes I have seen. I'm skeptical however, because a 1.5 change in a day seems like a lot to me.

The only significant change in activity would be that my strength workouts are getting a bit more intense. Now that my trainer has a feel for my fitness level and I've been back at it for a month and half. Also, I try to get out of my office at lunch time, even if I just go walk around the mall for a half hour just to move.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    When we look at your average intake and your recent drop in weight, we think it would be a good idea to wait one more week at your current intake.

Considering that you began your training program 10/19, it's quite possible that the stall you've experienced through November was simply fluid related issues. We can't be certain, but if your weight continues to trend downwards or remain in the ~208 range for this coming week, it would appear that your intake may be fine as is.

Can you PM one of us on 12/12? Send me a PM and we'll get to it immediately.
  • molissep
    Options
    Ok, that sounds like a fair plan! Thanks for your time and talk to you next week :smile:
  • molissep
    Options
    Hi Guys!

Here are my weigh-in's for the last week:
    12/5 - 208
    12/6 - 207.4
    12/7 - 207.4
    12/8 - 207.6
    12/9 - 207.2
    12/10 - 207.2
    12/11 - 208.8
    12/12 - 208.8

I haven't gotten a workout in since the weekend due to inclement weather and scheduling conflicts.

Let me know if you think I should change anything as far as cals/macros, or just keep it as is. I just don't want to get stuck at 208 now for the next 6 months.

Thanks in advance!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Hi Guys!

Here are my weigh-in's for the last week:
    12/5 - 208
    12/6 - 207.4
    12/7 - 207.4
    12/8 - 207.6
    12/9 - 207.2
    12/10 - 207.2
    12/11 - 208.8
    12/12 - 208.8

I haven't gotten a workout in since the weekend due to inclement weather and scheduling conflicts.

Let me know if you think I should change anything as far as cals/macros, or just keep it as is. I just don't want to get stuck at 208 now for the next 6 months.

Thanks in advance!

Did you lift 2/week and do cardio 2/week during this week, per your normal schedule?
  • molissep
    Options
    I lifted 2x and did 1 cardio session. I have been moving more during the day and making sure to go out during lunch, so that's at least 30-40 minutes of walking
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I lifted 2x and did 1 cardio session. I have been moving more during the day and making sure to go out during lunch, so that's at least 30-40 minutes of walking

Where are your limitations as far as increasing activity according to your schedule?

For example, if we increase activity through adding additional cardio sessions and/or increasing cardio duration, what sort of room do you have in your schedule to accommodate that if needed?
  • molissep
    Options
    Getting to the gym on work days is sometimes hard because of the travel time involved, but I am willing to work on my schedule if you feel that an increase is needed. Right now I go Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun. Sunday's is sometimes iffy depending on family requirements, I take care of my father who lives an hour away and sometimes have to make a trip to him, which can turn into an all day affair.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Getting to the gym on work days is sometimes hard because of the travel time involved, but I am willing to work on my schedule if you feel that an increase is needed. Right now I go Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun. Sunday's is sometimes iffy depending on family requirements, I take care of my father who lives an hour away and sometimes have to make a trip to him, which can turn into an all day affair.

How much time in total do you spend on your workouts on the average session, and could that time be increased as opposed to adding additional days?

Not saying we are going to go this route but I want to find out first.