forward bends are my nemesis

Options
Shan790
Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
I suffer from very tight hamstrings and glutes and calves. 2 years ago I had an injury and could not even touch my knees when bending over. I can now touch the floor so I'm getting there, I'm pretty sure yoga is the only reason I'm not on pain killers and meds.

What is your yoga nemesis?

Replies

• Shan790
    Options
    I also have an inner ear disorder that causes balance issues so anything where I go from head down to up quickly can make me fall over. My instructor is awesome and just laughs it off with me saying one day in a crowded class I'm going to cause a domino effect and take out the whole row of people.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Nemesis: Triangle pose (utthita trikonasana).
    I can get this very sharp pain down the inside of my angled leg. I don't know why. I guess my adductors are tight. I really don't dare go into the pose very deeply or for very long.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're seeing great improvement Shan790.

I'm not overly fond of cross body closed in twists: Marchiyasana 3, Parivrtta Parsvakonasana (revolved side angle). My most challenging poses are centered arm balances: lolasana (pendant pose) and the like, but I love all the other arm balances. I'm having sacral issues in janu sirsasana (head to knee) and utthita trikonasana (triangle) right now, but I think it's unrelated to yoga - maybe. I'm very flexible is more of an issue in yoga than tightness, although most people don't believe you when you say this.

Tufel: do you have the same issue with Parsarita Padottanasana and Upavista Konasana? Are you really tight in those poses?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hope this is not hijacking this post. (I am figuring maybe many can learn from this.)
    No. i do not have the same problem with those poses. Not anywhere near the same degree anyways. And, for a male, I can spread my legs pretty far apart when I am in a seated position.
    FYI I played soccer for years and years, and you kick using your adductors. I suspect all that kicking is somehow responsible.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner and my nemesis is Marichyasana A! I am nowhere near even touching my fingers on the right hand side, although I've managed to hook them for a second or two on my left. I am improving though by taking it in stages and I'm sure I'll get there eventually :smile:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Hope this is not hijacking this post. (I am figuring maybe many can learn from this.)
    No. i do not have the same problem with those poses. Not anywhere near the same degree anyways. And, for a male, I can spread my legs pretty far apart when I am in a seated position.
    FYI I played soccer for years and years, and you kick using your adductors. I suspect all that kicking is somehow responsible.

hmmm, those are definitely adductor stretches. What about Baddha Konasana? Are your knees fairly high? I really like this article by Roger Cole (all articles by him are really good). I don't think this applies to your situation, but make sure you're getting balanced:
    http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/2774
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Pleased to say that (with my instructor's assistance) I just about managed to hook my fingertips together in Marichyasana A - yay!
  • Shan790
    Options
    Ya good for you!