Sumo Rack vs Full Power Rack

tedrickp
tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
Hi guys,

I am not super active here, but I follow and appreciate the advice and everything I have learned, from not just the mods but other members of the group.

I have a quick straight forward question...

Is a Sumo rack:

tds_sumo_rack_b.jpg

...an acceptable replacement for a full rack.

I would prefer a full rack (especially since I can find a couple cheaper than the sumo) but basement ceiling is about 81". I haven't found many (any?) less than 82".

My concerns are:

• Is it as safe to use when alone? I don't often have a workout partner.
• Is it tall enough for a 6"1 guy?

I guess my other option is to buy a full rack and cut it down a couple inches.

I wouldn't personally know where to start to do that myself. **** I wouldn't even know what term to Google/Yellow Page to find someone locally who could.

Side note - it kind of sucks finding a power rack in Canada. Shipping/duty makes online ordering from US a no go. The used market (i.e. craigslist/kijiji) here is almost non existent for power racks as well. :explode:

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I haven't used the particular rack you've posted so I can't comment from experience. I'll leave that to anyone who has actually used that.

I've used a half rack in my current gym and it works just fine, although it looks sturdier than the one you've posted.

It should be safe provided that you're not exceeding the capacity limits of the safety bars and provided that it's sturdy enough when you walk the bar into the rack. My only concern in looking at that, would be what happens when you re-rack a heavy squat. I don't tend to "gently set the bar down" on the pegs when I'm re-racking a squat. I basically walk it into the upright bars. In looking at that thing I'd worry about knocking it over LOL.

But, treat these comments as uneducated general observations. I've not used that thing so I really have no first-hand experience on that particular rack.
  • tedrickp
    Appreciate the thoughts!

I am going to see the rack first hand next week. Will keep in mind your comments about sturdiness. Found a full rack at 80" as well so might just go with that.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Hi! I'm in Alberta and bought a power rack from a Canadian store and I'm very happy with it. Check out Fitness Depot.
  • tedrickp
    Hi,

Thanks for the heads up. That is definitely one of the places I have looked. So far only found 2 in my price range (trying for sub $500) on that site - and unfortunately both 85" tall. Couple inches above my requirements.

I might get a full size one from there - and find someone to take a couple inches off the uprights and redrill the bolt holes.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    would cutting into it compromise the strength (ie it would only be as sturdy as the welds)?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I did find this. http://www.amazon.ca/AmStaff-DF-1164-Power-Training-System/dp/B005D1RNEC/ref=sr_1_8?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1385572648&sr=1-8&keywords=power+cage

Tried googling around to see if it was reputable at all, and it appears to be made in china, but a few people on forums have them and like them (I've really only looked at 2 forums though). If my math is correct, it's only 79in :laugh:
  • tedrickp
    would cutting into it compromise the strength (ie it would only be as sturdy as the welds)?

Well from my understanding (and this is basically form reading two forums) you can simply chop and then add the bolt holes to just the uprights of the power rack (before set up). So in that case no welds are compromised, would just be slightly shorter uprights. I don't think that would change them structurally. I could be wrong though.

Auddii - thank you - that is actually perfect!

As for "AmStaff", definitely a Chinese made rack BUT I actually have an amstaff bench that is super solid and good quality. I trust them and might grab this exact rack.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Tagging
  • tedrickp
    Annnnnd I got upsold :laugh:

I went in to the actual store "Fitness Avenue" that sells the rack Auddii posted. I went in because the one review on Amazon said they received a slightly different model than the one pictured. Not a big deal BUT it was taller. I wanted to go in and measure.

BTW: For people in Canada $249 for a power rack is a crazy deal. I saw it in person and it isn't mind blowing. Couldn't be more basic but it seemed sturdy enough.

From most of the research I have done - people seem to be worried about Chinese metal being weaker though. So that is a consideration. It felt sturdy to me though.

Anyways - the model they had in stock was taller than 79" :mad: but they had the smaller one at another location. I was going to get it delivered when I stumbled by another half rack. I assume this half rack is more like the one Sidesteel has used since it is much more sturdy than the original one I posted. At 80" it is perfect for my basement.

2w4l91y.jpg

For people in Canada with a small clearance for height - this could be ideal. I will give a solid review after I have used it for a bit.

And if the weak Chinese metal breaks and leaves me a crumpled shell of a man covered in the debris of a broken power rack, I promise to use my last breaths to type out a warning to you all...
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Those sumo racks are just fine for home lifting. I looked at one when I had a lower ceiling. They are wider to accommodate lifters with a "sumo stance" on squats. The only thing you lose out on is a chinup bar that most other racks have built in.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    I'd be interested to know how you like this, and how it works out for your needs.

I'm currently lifting in my basement, also with low ceiling clearance (and minimal floor space, but, kids toys can be moved!) and have no rack. Like you, I'm in Canada and finding something appropriate, and budget friendly has proven to be a challenge.

What is this model?
  • tedrickp
    Hey Linli

This is the SD50.

if you are patient - I am getting it delivered mOnday (or Tuesday), then I'll set it up and give you a better idea of what I really think of it. Take some pics and a vid I can upload.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Hey Linli

This is the SD50.

if you are patient - I am getting it delivered mOnday (or Tuesday), then I'll set it up and give you a better idea of what I really think of it. Take some pics and a vid I can upload.

Nice rack. Sorry couldn't resist.

I have a Weider Pro squat rack. Love being able to lift in the basement.

And.......congrats on the 163lb weight loss.
  • tedrickp
    Thanks Cat!

And sorry to Linli - I am a total dbag - I meant to update this thread as soon as I got my power rack but forgot. I hate that MFP limits my recent posts to 25! lol

I ended up going with the SD50 due to height restrictions in my basement. It comes in at 80" which fits perfectly but the chin up bar isn't really usuable.

Here is a pic...

2njh8gy.jpg

Pros:
    • Was relatively cheap at $449
    • Fits in basement
    • Seems sturdy
    • Looks badass
    • Safeties feel rock solid

Cons:
    • Made in china so set up instructions kind of suck
    • I don't know if you can notice on the pic, but the pieces that hold the bar (lol @ me not knowing the name of those) don't sit totally flush. So sometimes when I am re-racking from a squat for example, the bar will get caught on the top of those as Im trying to settle it back in.
    • I don't love the thickness of the metal on the black parts...but I don't have anything to compare it too.

Final verdict - I am super glad I bought this. It was a significant cost for me (and I got it delivered so that skyrocketed the cost...also UPS guy not impressed as he unloaded my rack and olympic weight set LOL) but I don't regret buying it.

Considering the gym prices in my small town, this will pay for itself in less than 2 years.