Winter training - trainer or cold weather gear?

Options
ze_hombre
ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
Being fairly new to all this I am in a position of not having a lot of gear. Especially cold weather gear. So it looks like a trip to the local bike store is in store for me now that winter is upon us. Seeing as to how I am going to have to drop a pretty coin in some gear I would like to hear other's opinions on what is better. Should I get a trainer so I can stay in the nice warm house and maybe get some time with the TV or should I invest in gloves, jackets, booties, etc.? It looks like the cost is going to be about the same whichever way I go, close enough that one direction doesn't stand out at least.

I should say that I prefer running outside vs. on my treadmill and I see the advantages of getting practice time outside vs. being stationary. However, I am from Florida and now live somewhere where it actually gets cold and am a bit of a wuss when it comes to weather below 70 degrees. Even more so now that I don't have all the blubber.

I have no pressing timelines or pending races, I am just wanting to stay in shape for when spring hits and its time to get ready for the summer races.

Also, if you recommend a trainer would you mind sharing recommendations or at least features to look for?

Replies

• KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    in for the info..
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    70°? That's tropical compared to here! :laugh:

My bike is up on my trainer now but we also got about 10" of snow last night (I run outside all winter)

Like running the key is to dress in layers and to avoid overdressing. A pair of tights, long sleeve jersey and shell are probably all you need (more for wind protection than anything else. If you find yourself still feeling too cold wear a beanie under your helmet, warmer socks and full finger gloves......you'll probably find those 3 little changes make a big difference as to how you perceive the cold (if my feet and hands are cold the rest of me feels cold).

The extra gear you need will probably cost less than a trainer and I'm pretty sure riding outside is going to be a lot more fun too.

ETA - I've got a Kurt Kinetic Road machine that I bought a number of years ago. I find the fluid trainers are a little quieter than the magnetic ones.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have always loved training in and for cold. But then again, one of my best skiing days was when the base of A-Basin was -25 °F. the top was -35 °F, and the windchill was -105 °F before pushing off down the run in near zero visibility (sense of touch skiing).

First, no 100% cotton clothing. You're going to sweat and wearing something that isn't a blend can be a real problem in the cold.

Second, a few light layers is about the normal limit you wish to carry with you. If you have to take something off to control temperature, you want it light. Granted having too little is just as bad as having too much (particularly a long ways from home).

Here is what I wore when running in subfreezing temperatures with a significant windchill (~20-25 °F):

1 pair of performance briefs (cotton/polypro blend), athletic boxers

1 pair of midweight running tights (I have two thicknesses. Lighter weight might be better for cross country skiing where there is lots of work and not too much speed, but the combination of wind and running can cause a great deal of cooling of the leg muscles.

1 duofold variotherm midweight top

1 technical long sleeve running shirt

1 pair of Windstopper gloves (allows the use of a touchscreen without removing the gloves).

1 pair of polypro sock liners

1 pair of cotton/polypro blend running socks (crew length).

1 running hat

1 windshell (full-zip) jacket

After getting fully warmed up (I was running on a track), I took off the jacket. You can warm up in the house (I have a garage) but the moment you start sweating, get out the door before you overheat.

Be aware that the first few times that you workout in the cold, the muscles are going to feel more tired at the end because the muscles may not work as efficiently in the cold (or they aren't cold adapted and your body is trying to figure out where to send the blood to regulate temperature). And sometimes the smart money is to just "bag it" and stay warm and toasty.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    One other thing. Running shoes are generally designed to allow a fair amount of air flow, but this isn't generally evident until the temperature drops. Keeping the feet and toes warm without a bulky sock can be a challenge but there are lightweight wool-blended socks that can help with the aforementioned sock liner. Keeping excessive moisture away from the foot is essential.
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    personally, even though I am canadian, I am a weather wimp when it comes to cycling. below 50F and I'm on the trainer. My feet get way to cold (at 50, I am wearing woolies and booties and can still only manage an hour before my feet freeze.
  • kwilson18
    kwilson18 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have gear to do both- I have padded cycling underwear I wear under my thermal running pants, and then I wear lots of technical layers on top. Same jacket for winter riding and running, same gloves, and a thin hat under my helmet. I wear ski socks, and I did get little shoe covers for the wind. I can ride down to about 50 in that, and I'm a huge wimp. Most of my stuff can do double-duty.

But if you get snow where you are that makes it tougher. I'm in Denver and it can be really nice, but chilly, in the winter, but it can also be snowy so a trainer becomes more crucial (not to mention the dark...). I have an ancient CycleOps Fluid trainer (not even a Fluid 2.0) that has served me well. You might be able to find a used trainer pretty cheap on Craigslist.