Diet& Thyroid Maintenance dosage

Options
kizzes12
kizzes12 Posts: 41 Member
Hi guys!!:) i wanna know what dosage are you taking everyday for maintenance ..do we really have to take thyroid meds for the rest of our life? Iam currently on 100mcg .And also what diet works for you WHILE COUNTING CALORIES with this condition... High protein?High fiber? Low carb?... Let me know thanks!!! Add me!

Replies

• allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    From what I have heard from my doctors if you have the autoimmune form of the disease it never gets better. Your dosage gets increased till your thyroid stops working altogether. Someone I know who had thyroid cancer / thyroid removal is on 200mcg now, but I assume the dosage will be different depending on your age / weight etc.
    Some people say that clean eating / yoga / relaxation techniques done regularly can slow down the destruction process.
    As to a diet that would work - I have not found one that would work for me yet. I'll be following this thread with interest :-)
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    I was on 88 before I got pregnant, and then my endo moved it to 125 gradually after looking at my labs. At 11 weeks pp I am still on it, but I can tell it's too high and I will have to have it lowered soon.

As far as losing weight, I can eat anything within my calorie allotment. My endo said that some people seem to do better on paleo/primal, though.

I am sure I will be on meds the rest of my life, and yeah, that's a bummer, but at least there is something I can take that allows me to have a good quality of life. I think about what it would have been like 200 or however many years ago--I would have been sleepy, cold and depressed all the time.