Embarking on First Bulk - Advice Requested

Options
Linli_Anne
Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
I have been reading through a lot of the topics/important reads and have found so much useful information. Thank you both for setting up this group as a place to find some great advice/information without the need for sarcasm/finger pointing/myths, wizards, wraps and pills. :-)

I am planning on starting my first ever bulk cycle on December 1st, and would appreciate some advice regarding my program/workouts, intake level and if this is actually a good time to do a bulk after all. My main goal is to gain more lean mass, and reduce my body fat percentage overall.

I would like to continue with the stronglifts program, however because I am working out at home without a cage/rack (with my husband) we are stalled at being able to add additional weight to our squats, and are almost out of bar room (not an Olympic set) to add much more than 1 plate on each side for our deadlift. I would like to know what we can add on/adjust to the workouts to continue with my progression.

We did add on 2 core exercises to each workout in the stronglifts program

Workout A - added swiss ball prone jackknifes, currently at 3x20
Workout B - added planks, currently at 3x2 minutes, done with forearms on the floor

In case it is needed, my other lift stats are:

Squat: 125
OHP: 75
Bench: 90 (but failed after the 3rd set, dropped to 85 and completed 4 out of 5 reps on the 4th set, dropped to 80 for the final set and pushed out 5 no problem)
Row: 100
DL: 175

Pushups - averaging just under 60 overall, 3xfailure
Pull-Ups - working towards getting 3x4 now.

**ETA - On December 1st I will be increasing my calories up to 2400 daily for the bulk.

Thanks so much for your input, it is greatly appreciated and valued!!

Linli

Provide your stats (height/weight/age/bodyfat% if you know it/etc)

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 176.4
BF%: Based on my measurements etc. on the Heybales worksheet, the average sits between 23 - 24%

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average?

For the last 3 weeks I have been aiming to eat my full TDEE of 2200 calories, averaging at 2,011 calories since 11/8

What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? (GRAMS, not percent!)

All averages since 11/8

Protein: 113.5
Carbs: 243.95
Fats: 77.2

Do you use a food scale and measure everything?

yes

**Exception - during this time period I attended a surprise birthday party and did not log the food consumed at the party that evening, I did log the alcohol (11/16)

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?)

The only thing that I don't log are 2 cups of black coffee each morning and the occasional can of coke zero (3 or 4 cans weekly max)

Do you take cheat days or days off?

No, I try to log everything, and plan accordingly with the exception of things like the party mentioned above

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period?

30 pounds since November 2012

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity within the last couple of months?

Currently following Stronglifts 5x5 at home 3 days a week
At least 1 3-5 mile run during the week, in late January/early February I will go back to my regular training miles to get ready for race season
Desk job, lots of driving/shuttling kids around in the early evenings, workouts done around 8 or 8:30PM once the kids are in bed

I started doing Stronglifts mid-October, prior to that I had been focused on training for a 1/2 marathon and while I was still doing squats, deadlifts, OHP, barbell row and goodmornings the weight was "light" and the rep range higher in hopes of maintaining the lean mass I had while doing so much cardio.

How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period.

My weight has been consistent within 1-2 pounds in either direction since September 16, 2013. Highest weight in that time 177.6, lowest weight 174.4. 176.4 is my most consistent daily weight, although I did record my weight as 175 on Sunday morning, and have seen this number 2 other times since then.

Are you breastfeeding?

No.

Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS?

No.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to reduce body fat percentage and add muscle then you're eventually going to cycle through bulk/cut phases. Based on your current stats, I wouldn't suggest bulking right now. Since you have spent the past three weeks at maintenance intake you should be in a good position to lose body fat by going back into a deficit.

That's just my opinion. If you still decide to bulk, slowly adding calories and monitoring rate of gain would be the way to approach it.
  • Linli_Anne
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

I'm just curious why you wouldn't suggest a bulk at this point, but do agree that for my overall goals bulk/cut phases will eventually need to happen?

Would this be that I'm still at a higher BF%, or, simply that I have been at maintenance for the past 3 weeks and that my body would respond well to going back into a deficit?

By going into a deficit, either at this point, or in the future after bulk cycles, should I expect to lose some of my overall strength, or, will I be able to maintain where I'm at now with slower progression?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    In response to your follow up questions, we generally do not recommend bulking at a BF% over about 20% (assuming decent muscle mass).

The online calculators can be very inaccurate for assessing BF%. They are decent for progression, but not for 'point in time' estimates for many people as they can get skewed by individual fat and muscle distribution differences.

If you want a BF estimate done, we have a thread here.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/826435-bodyfat-estimation-thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105598-bodyfat-estimation-thread
    (which reminds me that we are a bit behind with them)

You can also look at the estimates we have done to get a 'feel' for yours. As an example, in my avi I am about 19 - 20%. I probably look a little leaner as I carry a lot of fat, proportionately in my butt.

Re strength - it depends on how long and deep you are cutting for and it is pretty individual as to whether you will lose strength. I tend to lose strength after about 8 weeks into a cut. The progression re your lifts will also depend on how far you are in your lifting 'life'. Early on, you are less impacted as you are still making form improvements (you are later on also, but they tend to be smaller) and also still making neurological adaptations to a degree. Plus, you are not as near to your potential.
  • Linli_Anne
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying. I was curious if perhaps my BF% was still too high to get into bulk/cut phases.

Looking through the photos of previous estimations you've provided others, I think that I am close to the range that I've calculated through other sources, around the 24% point.

I too carry my weight in my butt and saddlebags. They are slowly going away though. My legs are quite muscular though.

I might try to throw some pictures up into that thread though to get your opinions.

You have left me with some great things to think about now. Cheers!