Form during deadlifts

Hi all

I was doing deadlifts yesterday and a lady in the weight room pointed out I wasn't keeping my spine curved as it should be. This freaked me out, I don't want to lift with improper form and risk getting injured.
Question: Do you lift alone or with others, or with a trainer?
I lift alone and thought my form was good, I'm wondering what else I'm doing wrong? Maybe I should get a trainer just for a session or two to help me with this?

thanks

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    I hurt my back during Stage 1 doing deadlifts. It is critical that you have good form, especially as you increase your weights. I would recommend watching a lot of videos that detail correct form and then having a trainer at your gym watch you deadlift. You don't necessarily have to hire a personal trainer -- I just asked one of the trainers at my Y who lifts and hangs out in the weight room to watch me deadlift for one set.

You also might want to check out the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe -- it gives very detailed instructions on the proper form for all the big lifts.

Edited to add: I think the riskiest part of the deadlift is when you are lowering the weight back to the ground, especially if you are fatigued from your set. Adhere to scrupulous form when you're setting the weight down, and don't increase your weight faster than good form allows.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Thank you Sunshine, my sister watched me and pointed out that it's my tight hip flexors, they're preventing me from proper form. Once I spread my feet wider apart, it was possible to keep my correct form. I'll check out your recommendation and do more research, thanks!!
  • TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    I injured my intercostals doing deadlifts - recovered now but scared to do them again. Watched vids online to try and get pointers but as far as I can tell I was doing it right although the trainer I have for a class kept pulling me up on form. I plan on asking him to show me again where I am going wrong. Be careful.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Everything Sunshine said. For tight hip flexors, make the "squat to stand" stretches a part of your warm up. They've improved my mobility greatly.
  • heatheralia
    heatheralia Posts: 79 Member
    One thing that has helped me is switching to sumo deadlifts. If you are tall and long-legged, they might be easier for you to do with good form.