First 5k recap

Options
I completed c25k about 6 weeks ago, but I wasn't confident enough in my running to sign up for a race yet. I finally ran in my town's turkey trot yesterday. IT WAS SO FUN! Even with the 20 degree weather I had a blast. I was a little bummed that I had no friends to run with, but as we were lining up some girls were joking about how there were only designated starting areas for 6, 7, and 8 min miles and they needed an 11 min mile one and a "I just want to finish" one. That's about the speed I run so I started talking to them and ended up running the whole race together. I normally run on fairly flat areas, so I had to walk for a bit up a MASSIVE hill. I probably would have walked longer, but one of the girls I was running with was really encouraging so I made it halfway up with her support (although 95% of the people around me were walking up this thing, so I didn't feel bad). I always heard how supportive the running community is and it's really true. Part of the course kind of overlaps, so people who are a mile ahead of you are running towards you on the other side of the street. The super fast people on the other side of the street were high fiving us and yelling out words of encouragement. I finished in 36:14 with a smile on my face (seriously though, I look thrilled with life in the race photo haha). As soon as I got home I signed up for another one in 2 weeks. It's almost the same course so I'm excited to work on some hills and see if I can improve.

A few weeks ago I saw on another site about c25k some awful statistic about how so few people actually complete the program. I tried c25k a few times in the past and never stuck with it. This time I was so determined to become a runner. You may have to repeat some weeks, you may be going at the speed that most people walk, but that's okay. The important thing is you're doing it. There were people 50 years my senior and people who had 150 lbs on me who absolutely kicked my butt. If you want this bad enough and are willing to put in the work YOU CAN DO IT!

Replies

• Loser_Dad
    Loser_Dad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That is a great job and very encouraging.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    awesome...congratulations!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I did a Turkey Trot too. It was cold - maybe 25 degrees (ok, cold for Georgia). A kid next to me asked his dad, "why do we get up at that crack of dawn and come out into the cold to do this." And I said, "because we are runners."

It was awesome. After a year of running, my time was 33:48. No few tweens passed me in that last mile: the girl who went through the chute in front of me was 14 years old. Sigh.

Races are usually fun and inspire you to to push yourself. I'm glad you had such a great time!
  • MamaDubbs65
    MamaDubbs65 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I completed c25k about 6 weeks ago, but I wasn't confident enough in my running to sign up for a race yet. I finally ran in my town's turkey trot yesterday. IT WAS SO FUN! Even with the 20 degree weather I had a blast. I was a little bummed that I had no friends to run with, but as we were lining up some girls were joking about how there were only designated starting areas for 6, 7, and 8 min miles and they needed an 11 min mile one and a "I just want to finish" one. That's about the speed I run so I started talking to them and ended up running the whole race together. I normally run on fairly flat areas, so I had to walk for a bit up a MASSIVE hill. I probably would have walked longer, but one of the girls I was running with was really encouraging so I made it halfway up with her support (although 95% of the people around me were walking up this thing, so I didn't feel bad). I always heard how supportive the running community is and it's really true. Part of the course kind of overlaps, so people who are a mile ahead of you are running towards you on the other side of the street. The super fast people on the other side of the street were high fiving us and yelling out words of encouragement. I finished in 36:14 with a smile on my face (seriously though, I look thrilled with life in the race photo haha). As soon as I got home I signed up for another one in 2 weeks. It's almost the same course so I'm excited to work on some hills and see if I can improve.

A few weeks ago I saw on another site about c25k some awful statistic about how so few people actually complete the program. I tried c25k a few times in the past and never stuck with it. This time I was so determined to become a runner. You may have to repeat some weeks, you may be going at the speed that most people walk, but that's okay. The important thing is you're doing it. There were people 50 years my senior and people who had 150 lbs on me who absolutely kicked my butt. If you want this bad enough and are willing to put in the work YOU CAN DO IT!

Awesome job! Thanks for sharing your recap - very encouraging for those of us who have yet to finish the program or run our first 5k. You did GREAT!!!