Bar without a rack?

Options
After weeks of searching online and in my local store, I found a 5' long 1" round 15lb steel bar that is compatible with my current plates, for $30.

I am thinking to go ahead and order it because it seems to be a great deal. I have 2 questions though, thought maybe you folks who are more experienced could answer.

1. Is 5' long enough for squats, bench press, rows, and dead lofts? I am female at 5' 5" tall if that matters.

2. Since I am very tightly on a budget, and can not afford a rack right now, is it safe to use this without, or what are some ways to improvise and rig up some safety catches here at home?

Any tips and advice appreciated!

Replies

• 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not entirely sure how you would do squats and bench presses without something to rest the bar in/on- how would you get the bar on your back from the ground for squats?. Can you get squat stands (that's what I have) - they are cheaper and smaller than a rack. Rows and deadlifts from the floor should work.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    If your man ( or brother, cousin, Uncle, Dad) is handy, get him to build you one. My guy constructed a rack for me out of 2x4/2x6. I googled DIY racks and got a few pics and it took him a couple hours to throw one together for me! =)
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yes, lifting the bar would be a big concern. Also, where would I drop it to in case I can't finish a lift.

My man is pretty handy, but as he has no interest in fitness (since he stays fit from his job), he thinks a rack is too much. But with Christmas right around the corner, he is looking for an inexpensive gift. And I think we may have enough left over lumber from his last project to do one.

I will talk to him about it. I may just have to work with what I have for now.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    It depends on where the bar is going to situate the weights and where the end of the weight set spot is.. but I think you could do dead lifts, curls, rows, shoulder shrugs, tricep moves.. but I wouldn't use it without a rack for anything over you like squats or bench.. and if you make something make sure its with metal and before you put a bar with weight on it I would put the full weight of your body on it.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    no, it doesn't have to be made with metal but it does have to be strong and secure. Our gym is in the unfinished area of the basement so he has the top mounted to the joists for stability. He put a pull up bar across the top opening too as this is his favorite exercise and it's something I am working on starting.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bench?

A 5' bar is fine, but you will have to make a lot adaptions if you do not have a rack or a bench.

You can obviously do deadlifts and Pendlay rows. Squats are challenging unless you can clean the bar up, as is OHP. Do you have dumbbells?
  • gracielynn1011
    Options
    Good morning Sara. I do have dumb bells. I have 2 14" bars and 30 lbs of plates to use with them. I am getting heavier plates in a few weeks also, as the ones I have are 2.5 & 5 lb it is taking all the plates to be heavy enough for use now.

I do not have a weight bench, but I do have a wooden bench that I have been using for dumbbell bench press. I put it near my couch in case I need to put the weights down quickly, I can just roll to the side and lay them on the couch instead of dropping them on me or to the floor.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would do a combo of barbell and dumbells - you can have a look here for alternatives when you are using dumbbells for the main compounds:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells

I would use barbells for deads and rows (if you do them) and dumbbells for the rest.
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bump want to read this link and also check out
  • gracielynn1011
    Options
    Thank you, I will be checking for some videos to show me proper form and work these into my current routine.