Anyone aiming for a Trifecta in 2014?

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Tough Mudder's the weekend before. I'll be there. And a local OCR with my 8 year old that I promised I'd do again.

My little girl is running the Spartan Junior in NY. And we'll do the Foam Race again this year, which one are you doing together?

In 2 years she'll be old enough to do regular races with me.

Right now I just have her doing local OCRs with me. She's done a few 5k road races, and two trail races too. She prefers the OCRs like her mom though! I'm not sure if I'll have her do a Spartan this year, since kids can't run with their parents. The Boston one is five minutes from my house, so if her dad will bring her, she'll do it. But otherwise it's tough since I don't have anyone to watch her while I am racing.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    just did a stadium sprint in Queens.

I'm really tempted to do the trifecta, but i'm not really prepared

a friend of mine did a longer one, can't remember how long, but she said she thought there was actually more running in the stadium 5k... or at least there were less obstacles so you had to run further at a time.

honestly the running and stairs were the hardest part for me.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Yeah, I don't really want to have my kiddo there for the afterparties. I need to have some fun too! Ha.

I wish I knew exactly how long the CitiField race was. GPS isn't accurate in the stadium. Most people had watches on, and I saw numbers between 2.4 miles and 3.5.

I have a TON of training to do for the trifecta. I'm doing the Vermont Beast, which is THE Beast. I've got to get up to the mountains and do some runs. Hill repeats aren't going to cut it.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Last year when we all did it was enough "fun" that I'll be glad to have my kid with me, for my own safety.

The Beast in Vermont is the dream race for me. It took my buddy Chuckie 8 hours, but he wasn't in very good shape for it.

E which Beast did you do? One of those ridiculous Canadian ones? Are we sure those even count? An obstacle at a Canadian Spartan is trying to take a donut without sharing...

pffft no doughnuts but there was Moose corralling!!!!

The Beast I did was 5:43 minutes and my legs didn't know how to leg afterwards...

The super was shorter but if I had to choose one, I would do the Beast again. The Super was brutal, it was mud up to your knees for 30% of it and that just saps the energy out of you, also the swimming portions were ice cold mountain runoff...
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    So do the Vermont Beast! I'll be there both days, racing Saturday, and volunteering for the Ultra on Sunday.

I'm waffling on the NJ Super. I'd definitely do it if the Western MA Beast was going to happen, but that was pushed to 2015. Boston Super will give me my Trifecta, but I do wish I could get a double. I'll easily have plenty of Sprints. But the Supers and Beasts are harder for me to travel for :(
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Yeah my super was also near my place, about 2 hours away, it wasn't as brutal as a ski hill but the mud made up for it!
  • ColossusCain
    ColossusCain Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for it and to do it for free
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    I'm aiming for it and to do it for free

Did you hear the Boston Super is going to be in Ipswich? I'm happy about that one!
  • jamesolmos
    jamesolmos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ran the Sprint in January @ Vail Lake in CA. Running the Supper in Vegas this weekend, April 5th! Signed up for the Beast back at Vail lake in September. Feeling race ready! #spartanracetraining #spartan2014

I was at that Sprint too. See you at the Beast! Aroo.

Fantastic! I'm really looking forward to it. I'll be running the Tough Mudder in October too . . . just a few weeks after the Beast. Have you ran the TM races before? Any tips?
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Yup Yup!

Beast and Sprint in Hawai'i.
    Super in Chicago.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I'll be earning my Texas Trifecta in November. I did the Super and Sprint on May 17 and 18. Now I have to wait until November 1 to run the Dallas Beast.
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl,
    Are you running with the Lone Star Spartans?
    If not, you should look into it! They're a great group, very active in all the Spartan Races, and very supportive/motivational. If you have Facebook, look up the group Lone Star Spartans, Admin is Paul Almanza. Tell 'em Bryan Haworth sent you. :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl,
    Are you running with the Lone Star Spartans?
    If not, you should look into it! They're a great group, very active in all the Spartan Races, and very supportive/motivational. If you have Facebook, look up the group Lone Star Spartans, Admin is Paul Almanza. Tell 'em Bryan Haworth sent you. :)

I don't. I know of the Lone Star Spartans, but I normally run the races with a small team I'm a member of in Houston. I'll look into the group on Facebook though. I know a handful of people around the Houston area who are members of the Lone Star Spartans.
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I will hit my trifecta in 13 days :)
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Next week....

All I can think about is how COLD it is going to be :(
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I did the Sprint in Indiana in April. Doing the Ohio Super on Oct. 4th and the Carolina Beast on Oct. 25th.