First Marathon Memories

Options
In 1988, 25 years ago today, I ran my first full marathon in Dallas, the Dallas White Rock Marathon. I just wrote a special blog post on it at my Running Groove Shark blog. Here's the shortened link (with 1980s fashion photos!) if you want to read it: http://goo.gl/fSLUQE. :glasses:

I'm curious, though, where did you run your first marathon? And what are the memories from your first full that you remember and treasure today? How did it change your life?

Replies

• essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Nice! I will be running Dallas Marathon for the 5th time in a couple of days. I wonder how much the course has changed since you first ran it. : :smile:

My very first marathon was in 2002 - the Los Angeles Marathon. I had no idea what I was doing. I was running regularly at that time but didn't know anything about training. I did the LA Marathon 5k race in 2001 and saw all the marathoners and told myself I wanted to do it the next year. So I did. :smile: Again, I didn't know what I was doing but I finished. I got a little teary eyed when I crossed that finish line, and immediately thought to myself - when can I do this again?! Back then I just did them for fun, so it wasn't til recently that I started trying to actually improve my times.

That race will always hold a special place in my heart because it taught me that I can push myself to accomplish things. Plus, it's one of the most fun and lively races out there. A must-do for anyone. I like the crowd support, the entertainment, all the different neighborhoods you run through, and just the vibe. I did that race 4 times when I used to live in California. :heart: :heart:

I have run 13 marathons since then and Dallas will be #15 for me this year. It's not just the race I love, but the whole training process - the journey. Plus it helps me keep long term fitness goals in my life, keeps it as a way of life.

Great blog! That is so old school, where they mail you your results. Modern technology is a great thing. Now we have runner tracking and basically can get our results right away. I'm sure the number of participants has grown tremendously since then too.

And great time for your first! One of these days I'd like to run that time... got a lot of work to do. Thanks for sharing!

p.s. Did the course still include the Dolly Partons back then? :smile: Complete with wigged men offering shots of tequila??!!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Awesome memories! My first marathon was a little more recent - the 2011 Big Sur Marathon. I had an absolute blast, and blogged about it at the time.

http://mungerruns.blogspot.com/2011/05/race-report-big-sur-international.html

I had definitely thought it would be my one and only marathon, but 8 marathons later I'm still signing up for them! I'm registered for a trail marathon and a 50-miler in the spring.

My best memory of the marathon has to just be crossing the finish line. It was an unbelievable high, and I was thrilled to have done it.

Congrats on your amazing marathoning career spanning four different decades!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have two first marathon memories. My first road marathon was Chicago in October of 2010. I'd had almost two years of running experience by race day. I have ambivalent feelings about it to be honest. I had put a lot of expectations on myself considering so much about it ended up being new - distance (a given), locale (halfway across the country from home), size (insanely huge) and weather (train in the 60's, race day temps low 90's). So instead of being excited by the fact that I had finished my first marathon the experience was colored by my disappointment that I missed my BQ time by 10 minutes and frustration with factors not in my control, specifically the weather. I completely understand now why I was getting so much advice from people to enjoy the first time experience instead of putting so much burden on it. There would be plenty of other races to wring my hands over but I didn't see that at the time.

My first trail marathon was in the middle of a Northern California winter storm in February of 2011 and I was running around the Marin Headlands. It was wet, cold and windy. We had hail and there was even snow on Mt. Tam which is a 2400 foot peak near the Pacific Ocean so that's saying something if we had snow there. I had an entirely different set of goals for this one - don't turn into a human popsicle, don't get a concussion and don't listen to the people around me who were dropping down to a shorter distance. Considering the trajectory of my running career (in 2013 I will have done 460 racing miles in 14 races only 3 of which were on the road - a half and two fulls) I'm surprised I came back for more.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    p.s. Did the course still include the Dolly Partons back then? :smile: Complete with wigged men offering shots of tequila??!!

Yes & yes. Sorry to hear Dallas was canceled this past weekend.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My first was the Deadwood Mickelson Trail (half) Marathon in the Black Hills of South Dakota in June of 2011. I just winged it and did no research or "training," I just ran a few times a week, long run was 6-7ish. I was pretty excited for it, and at the same time, had no clue what I really signed up for. It was a little chilly, maybe 50, at 8am. I remember stupidly stuffing myself at the start with bagel bits and bananas. Gun goes off, and everything was a blur. The setting was just beautiful: a wide trail with large ponderosa pines on both sides, and a long stream following it. The trail was originally a railroad back in the Wild West days. Every aid station was a buffet to me, and I thought I needed to stuff my pockets at each one. Around mile 8 there were M&Ms and I distinctly remember grazing that one for a minute. Around mile 10, my knee started to hurt, and I did run/walk intervals until the end. The finish like was glorious - it was so cool to see all those people there, get my medal, and eat everything. I think I ate 20 orange slices and a bunch of half-pint chocolate milks. I finished it in 2:29ish, which was right on average with the 2000 people who ran the half, so I was satisfied. I met a guy named Jeff Galloway there too. Had no clue who that guy was at the time (I said I did no research or anything), but he looked like a cancer patient and was really cool.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    My first was October this year in Amsterdam, the main memory is singing 'don't hurry love no you just have to wait' and all the other runners giving me strange looks, also I remember that I got to the finish and didn't feel like I'd done anything.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My first marathon was in 2011 as well. It was the Ft. Lauderdale A1A marathon and only my second year of running more than 5 miles. I can't remember the finish line at all, but what I do remember is when I got to the twenty mile water stop and told one of the ladies there (the volunteers at the stops had become pretty sparse by then) that this was the longest I had ever gone. I was aware of breaking that barrier, and since then haven't felt anything like it. I'll probably have a similar moment when I do an ultra.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I will be running my first marathon in July at the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon (who knew they had one) I just ran my first 1/2 marathon back in October. I am running a marathon in memory of my mother so finishing the half marathon was VERY emotional for me as it's a BIG step towards the marathon goal.

I had a good idea of the pace I was going to run and planned out my playlist accordingly. At the near end of the race I came up to a 800 meters sign (to go) when I should have had about 3 minutes left but I was a little bit faster than anticipated. But anyway.. with 800 meters to go the Ride of the Valkyries came on my iPod and I finished my half marathon to the triumphant sounds of Wagner. I finished and all the volunteers thought something was wrong with me because I.. Just.. Couldn't.. Stop.. Crying.. I was so happy.

Whenever that piece comes on my iPod I completely lose it and in fact I'm fighting back tears at my desk right now just typing this.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My First Marathon was Snowdonia Marathon in Wales, a beautiful part of the country (though I am biased) with nearly 3500 ft of elevation.

Ran it with a friend and took it nice and steady, we started together and finished together - missed it this year but will be back for 2014