Nutrient timing & supplements

Options
jordymils
jordymils Posts: 230 Member
Just curious as to what everyone's views are on these two things - nutrient timing, and supplements.

By nutrient timing I mean the importance of having some simple carbs (banana, muesli bar, etc) before a workout and then protein and carbs afterwards, or if everyone just focuses on getting the right amounts across the whole day regardless of timing it to training.
I'm not so much looking for advice, just interested to see what people think.
There is obviously a lot of emphasis in the EM2WL community about getting the right ratio of macros etc across the day, but I haven't seen anything about fuelling before/after a training session, which I've always put a lot of importance on.

The other things is supplements, more specifically protein shakes. As a crossfitter, I've always been encouraged to have a protein shake after training and have done so for about 18 months now. I use an all-natural vegan shake after every training session, and on days that I only train once I will have one for breakfast too. So I have 2 per day most days, which is almost essential for me to get my required protein (I'm vegetarian), but I've been seeing things around about protein shakes hindering weight loss, etc. I'm not sure how or why, I've just heard people saying that if you want to lose weight then you need to quit the shakes.
Just wondering how everyone else feels about this topic?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'll comment the studies don't find much of anything except in specific cases.

If going in to your workout 4-7 hrs since last eating and you've been awake and moving somewhat, you'll have low glucose reserves, and workouts usually go better with some food prior.
    Now doing a fasted slow cardio session for short 30 min session, you can train your fat-burning aerobic system better, going faster to that best ratio.

If doing endurance cardio, then a ratio of carbs to protein 4:1 within 30 min after the workout improves glucose storage. And another meal with 4 hrs sees benefit too.

If doing endurance cardio day after day, intake of protein shake 30 min before bed improved endurance the next day.

Other than that, personal preference.
    If workouts are stronger after a snack 30 min prior ....
    If snack within 30 min after workout prevents going overboard on meal 2-3 hrs later ....

I'd be curious about the context on shakes causing gain. The fact no fiber or volume could mean that for the calories you just ingested, you are still hungry from empty stomach and eat more than you should.
    Easy solution there, drink shake with real food with volume.
    I'll be the context is also in relation to small eating levels.