A little help please

Can anyone help me here in particular my B/G higher after two hours than 1 hr. Not new to Diabetes but new to managing it properly. I take 2000mg of Diaformin before I go to bed. By the way...the fasting blood glucose is very low for me.

fasting Blood - Glucose Reading, 8.4 mg/dL
Breakfast:
Coles - Lite Milk - Uht, 200 ml
Kellogg's - Just Right Cereal, 80 g
B/G - 1 hr after meal, 14 md/gl
B/G - 2 hrs after meal, 15 md/gl

Replies

• Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Can anyone help me here in particular my B/G higher after two hours than 1 hr. Not new to Diabetes but new to managing it properly. I take 2000mg of Diaformin before I go to bed. By the way...the fasting blood glucose is very low for me.

fasting Blood - Glucose Reading, 8.4 mg/dL
    Breakfast:
    B/G - 1 hr after meal, 14 md/gl
    B/G - 2 hrs after meal, 15 md/gl

Shyfig, even though your breakfast was very small, as diabetics, it's less about the amount we eat and more about the carbs we eat. Everything is about carbs because our pancreas does not produce enough effective insulin to be able to deal with them. I encourage you to go to bloodsugar101.com and read it from cover to cover. It saved my life.
  • It's great that you're paying more attention to managing your blood sugar. You might keep track not only of the amount you're eating and drinking, but also the carbohydrate content. Blood sugar levels rise after we eat based on the amount and the type of food we eat, because some foods take longer to digest than others. Talk with your physician about your findings, and you can work together to figure out the best eating patternt to fit your individual needs. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Breakfast:
    That's about 70 grams of carbs in a single meal. They should call that cereal "Just Wrong". As a general rule of thumb many diabetics try to keep their carbs under 45 grams per meal.

As the other posters said, keep a close eye on the amount of carbs you consume each day. Controlling your carb intake along with regular exercise can go a long way in keeping your diabetes in check.
  • Thanks everyone for your help. I've made an appointment to see a dietician this week so hopefully she will be able to sort out for me the numbers I will be looking at. I will definately read through bloodsugar101.com
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,868 Member
    Also google Glycemic Index. When I went on a "nutrition for diabetics" course I was told to limit carbs to 35 g per sitting/meal.
  • I's great that you already have an appointment to see a dietitian! Let us know her recommendations. ~Lynn /Glucerna