practice at home vs the studio

Options
Benefit of home practice: when my cats come cuddle next to me in savasana.

Benefit of studio practice: being inspired by the yogis around me whether they are struggling or poised.

What's something you enjoy about practicing at home or at a studio?

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Great question.

Home: I learn more about my practice and my tendencies at home. I can choose my own sequence and work on the stuff I need to work on. Home practice is the time to go inward, it's more meditative. Disadvantage: I can be lazy at times.

Studio/class: I will do poses that I tend to forget about in my home practice. The main advantage is that I don't have to think - someone else is telling me what to do. Also, I will be corrected in my practice. The teacher will teach me something new or show me a way to work that will improve my pose. Disadvantage: sometimes it's not stuff I need to work on.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Awesome post

Home. I can spend all the time I want in a pose I may need that day more time to really stretch the tight spots downside.is my dog enjoys my yoga mat and tends to get under me a lot :)

Studio. More likely to have proper form became of the reminders to turn my toses or engage a muscle etc. downside I have an inner ear disease and seeing some one fall out of a pose tends to pull me with them. It's hard to focus for me because where my eyes look my body follows.
  • TupeloGirlee
    Options
    Definitely studio! I work from home, so it feels like a treat to leave the house and do something for myself. Also, I tend not to do the hard stuff unless someone is directing me to do it.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    I like studio too. I like the human connection. My kids are in school during the day and my husband is at work (I work from home) so it's nice getting out in the "the real world" at least once a day, ykwim?
  • curvyjew
    Options
    These days I'm exclusively practicing at home. I can't ever get to studio classes due to my work schedule.
    I do love Yogaglo.com for practicing at hom. Lots of class options, lots of teachers. I don't have to think about sequence, I just push play!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    These days I'm exclusively practicing at home. I can't ever get to studio classes due to my work schedule.
    I do love Yogaglo.com for practicing at hom. Lots of class options, lots of teachers. I don't have to think about sequence, I just push play!

This is me as well. But a local yoga studio just opened up not too far. i was thinking about trying their weekend class
  • liv_namaste
    liv_namaste Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I practice both at home and in the studio and I think both are essential.

At the Studio: I push myself and try new poses. I feel motivate to push beyond where I would push myself at home. I work at home so getting some time with my fellow yogis is always an added plus! It also gives me something that I feel like I'm doing for myself. There is an aspect of financial commitment that I think really helps me mentally be even that much more committed.

At Home: I find that I really commit to my practice at home. It is the calm in my every day. I make it my own, not just something I need others to motivate me to do. Even if I'm using an online video it is still just me in the room. Just me who can inspire myself to try something more difficult. I'm also more likely to try something that I might be embarrassed to do in front of others! I also agree with those of you who said that it is more meditative to practice at home. I think the connection to yourself that you gain from an at home practice is not something you can substitute.
  • yogaveg
    yogaveg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    for the past year or so i have been mostly practicing at home which has been great but sometimes i get too busy to pick myself up and practice. for some reason it's easier to get myself to go to a class. also, there's some interesting psychology research on the group exercise environment and how the natural competitiveness in humans helps push us more than we would outside of a class. any who, i like going to classes every once in a while to get inspiration for my classes and teachings and try something different! it's nice to not be in the teacher mind all the time
  • itsgottago
    itsgottago Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Home: I love being able to explore a pose at my leisure. Sometimes repeating a pose just feels good and I want to stick with it longer. I also agree, it's more meditative.

Studio: Corrects my pose...I also work from home but I haven't found a studio that I love yet so that might have something to do with it also.
  • HoneyFrogger
    HoneyFrogger Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Home all the way :) I don't like "class" settings often feel uncomfortable about all the other people there, where I love going to the gym by my lonesome :/
  • eatmindfully
    eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I only became comfortable doing yoga because of my amazing teacher! She taught and still teaches me proper alignment which I seem to need endless help with. My lower back pain is almost entirely gone. I'm trying to cultivate a home practice but one barrier is concern about my form. I've taken to sometimes using my laptop to videotape my practice and better see where I can address proper form. Excited to find this group of yogis here!!!