Weight loss, but breast size increase?

Options
Hey all! I have a kind of personal and random question... but bare with me.

I started doing keto on the first of December. I also cut out diet sodas and alcohol completely. Already, I have lost 6lbs. I feel like my stomach is getting flatter, but I've noticed that my breasts have been bulging out of my relatively new bra. I was just measured before starting keto, so it was definitely the right size before. So what I want to ask to all the women is if they have noticed this too? Is it common to lose weight but maintain/increase fat areas in other parts of your body while doing keto?

Replies

• bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I have never heard of this. Breasts are usually the first to lose weight. Maybe you are just lucky, hahah:bigsmile:
  • mkroyer28
    Options
    Is it possible its TOM related? Some women have increased breast size/tenderness when they ovulate and/or before during menstruation.....
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's it. I thought the boobs were first to go too, so I was very hopeful that I might have been mistaken XD.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Many women will envy you :ohwell:
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Nope, you aren't the only one. Although my breast size has not increased, on most diet plans, that is the very first place I lose weight. While on Keto, I have lost it in my butt, thighs and abs first (in that order). My breast size has yet to change. Thank goodness, bras are expensive!
  • jgreen0524
    Options
    It might be shark week for you, or soon, so your breasts may be larger from hormones. Yay!
  • Ninanator
    Options
    Okay, I'm going to use the phrase "shark week" from now on! Thanks jgreen0524!

...still laughing...
  • dandyforman
    Options
    It could also be the amount of fat this lifestyle requires. Breast tissue is mostly fat, and when you lose weight/fat, that's why it's the first to go. Maybe eating fat in the amount that we do allows for breast size maintenance/growth? =)
  • cloudbunny17
    cloudbunny17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm actually experiencing the same thing. I thought I was alone, but I guess not. I've lost 10 pounds, but I've gone up a cup size since then and I'm afraid that they will just keep getting bigger. If you can figure out why this might be happening, I'd love to know as well.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Losing weight all over but breast size increase? Please teach me!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Your_Fairy_Godmother.jpg

Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boobs!

Not a woman, and I've never heard of it. So, good for you, or sorry for your luck?
  • bernicem77
    bernicem77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Mine "shrink" when I lose weight.
  • jgreen0524
    Options
    I just remembered another reason why your breasts might be increasing. When having rapid weight loss, it can release stored up estrogen in your body. Estrogen is especially prevalent in fat around the stomach. Maybe, if you have extra estrogen now being released in your body, it is causing your breasts to get larger? Also, if you are going down in band size, and not cup size, you will have to get different bras anyways, because they will need more volume.

just some thoughts.
  • veronicaadavis7
    Options
    Amen, Sister!
  • darlingdani83
    Options
    I haven't grown any in that area, but they also haven't shrunk. My band size has gone down which is nice but the sisters are still pretty much the same. Like many other on here, I've also been losing in hips, thighs and butt, not quite so much in the stomach but that has gone down some also. Hopefully you're happy with the results you're seeing!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Aww, I was gonna jump in here asking if maybe the band size was decreasing, leading to a *relative* increase in cup size. :D
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    OK Ladies - We should all be doing measurements regularly to monitor progress, and the girls are one of the areas that we should be tracking. Not only for weight loss, but also so you have the right size bra! Do NOT trust a store to do your bra size correctly. Many stores stock a limited set of sizes, and they will intentionally tell you the WRONG size, because they don't carry your actual size.

There's a great reference from the sub-reddit r/ABraThatFits. It can walk you through how to do your measurements, and what your bra size is.

Fit Guide: http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/fit_guide

r/ABraThatFits: http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/

OP - My understanding from the folks over at ABTF - is that many ladies have been in the wrong size so long, that it has squished some of their breast tissue into their armpits. When you start wearing the right size bra, this breast tissue can start to migrate back into place. A bra that fit suddenly becomes a bra that does not. More on Breast Tissue Migration here:

http://bustyresources.wikia.com/wiki/Migrated_breast_tissue
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the links! Will def check em out.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    bump for those links. Thanks Kira!
  • SlyGirl67
    Options
    I don't know, but when I started my weight loss journey a year ago, my bra size was 38DD. They got bigger as I gained weight. So here I am 43 lbs lighter and my bra size is pretty much the same, I could go down a band size, but the cup size is the same. I'm not sure why my boobs have not gotten smaller, its baffling. However with my shrinking waist, they make them look even more ginormous.