Replies

• jaweiss1
    jaweiss1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great thread, thanks to all of you.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Thank you SideSteel and Sarauk2sf for creating this group. The knowledge that you are sharing with us all is priceless and I am definitely not alone in appreciating it!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Thank you SideSteel and Sarauk2sf for creating this group. The knowledge that you are sharing with us all is priceless and I am definitely not alone in appreciating it!
    +1
    :-D
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Kind of a related question...

You said it's generally safe to lose 1.5ish+ % of one's body weight per week. For me, that would be upwards of 2.5lbs per week, which is way above what most people suggest. Does nutrient timing become more important as the cut gets more aggressive, assuming consistency/adherence is good? Does type of exercise influence your answer (lifting vs HIIT vs long duration/low intensity cardio)?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

You said it's generally safe to lose 1.5ish+ % of one's body weight per week. For me, that would be upwards of 2.5lbs per week, which is way above what most people suggest. Does nutrient timing become more important as the cut gets more aggressive, assuming consistency/adherence is good? Does type of exercise influence your answer (lifting vs HIIT vs long duration/low intensity cardio)?

To clarify further, and I'll also go back and re-read what I wrote to make sure I didn't say something conflicting with the following: I would expect MOST people to be around 1% bodyweight per week. As you get fatter, I would expect people to be able to lose slightly faster, closer to the 1.5% per week. As you get leaner, I would expect people to lose it slower, closer to the .5% per week.

Assuming you're in the mid teens for example, I think 1% per week is a really good place assuming performance and adherence factors are being met.

Nutrient timing is always important for performance based reasons and generally speaking I think it may become more important in an energy deficit since you're more likely to have performance based limitations/issues.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

To clarify further, and I'll also go back and re-read what I wrote to make sure I didn't say something conflicting with the following: I would expect MOST people to be around 1% bodyweight per week. As you get fatter, I would expect people to be able to lose slightly faster, closer to the 1.5% per week. As you get leaner, I would expect people to lose it slower, closer to the .5% per week.

Assuming you're in the mid teens for example, I think 1% per week is a really good place assuming performance and adherence factors are being met.

Nutrient timing is always important for performance based reasons and generally speaking I think it may become more important in an energy deficit since you're more likely to have performance based limitations/issues.

That's good enough for me. I'm around 12% right now, so 1% (1.7lbs) is probably towards the high end for me. I suspect that'll be hard enough for me to sustain.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

That's good enough for me. I'm around 12% right now, so 1% (1.7lbs) is probably towards the high end for me. I suspect that'll be hard enough for me to sustain.

Agreed. The only purpose of me providing a range to you was to just illustrate what I think it a reasonable slot to land in, again assuming that performance and adherence remain strong. If your performance goes in the tank at 1.3lbs per week but you're rock solid at .8lbs/week then obviously the latter is going to be better even if that means you're spending a few additional weeks cutting.

But if you have equal performance and adherence losing slightly faster, but still within a reasonable range according to your bodyweight and leanness, I'd consider that superior in that it shortens the cut duration.

Does this make sense?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    perfect sense. The range based on weight was just the context I needed.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Good stuff. For me (mentally) I was attempting a bulk (because my lifts were stalling) but I was not in a lower percentage as far as body fat...I'm ASSuming I was around 20-21% BF..Is that fairly normal? And yes, I stopped because I was oh *kitten* my belly is coming back...yes i pussed out.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    In an attempt to be able to find the threads with good discussions again, especially for those that are on recurring topics, I am adding this to a separate thread that acts in lieu of a search function that is not available for groups.