Thyroid drugs when you have your thyroid tested?

Options
My previous doctor always told me to refrain from taking my thyroid drugs when I had my blood tested. The new one says I should take them because so he can see whether my body reacts to them(?). What is your experience?

Replies

• kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have read several places NOT to take them as blood serum levels spike between 4 and 6 hours after your dose, which can lead to a "false high", which makes some doctors think you are on too high of a dose.

My current doctor wants me to take the drugs before the test, but she regulates my dosage by symptoms, not TSH, so it's not a big deal if the false high shows up for Free T3 and T4.
  • weirdmommy
    weirdmommy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I go get my blood work done first thing in the morning and then take my pill when I'm done. So far so good.???
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard this before, so I've always taken Synthroid before my tests.

I'm going to wait before my next test. Thanks, guys!
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    4 to 6 hours? Interesting... Since my dosage has been rised to 100 mcg I have been experiencing what I call my "heat rush" about half an hour after I take my pill. I feel really warm and sweat more than usual.
  • Sapphire1812
    Sapphire1812 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was also recently told by my doc not to take my thyroid meds before a blood test. So for my recently review I haven't taken them... currently awaiting results to see if I'm on the right dosage.

Funny, as when I mentioned to the nurse that took my bloods she said that it wouldn't matter. As taking meds you'd already have a build up of thyroxine in you. So it would seem that some say to take... others say no. I guess so long as they know when they look at the results whether you've taken them or now... they can go from there. But most definitely confusing with some saying it's ok and others saying no!! :huh:
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard this either - I'll make sure to ask next time I'm due for a checkup!
  • joy0101
    joy0101 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this. I was always told that the meds build up in your body and not taking one day would not make a difference.
  • dariazeoli
    dariazeoli Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is news to me. The doctor's office has never asked that I refrain from taking my pill on the day I go in for bloodwork. Interesting!
  • lia250
    lia250 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I take a pill a day since seven years old. And before blood tests.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    My doc said to wait until after the test. He said T4 builds up over a 10-day period and from then it's maintained so being a few hours late is fine, unlike T3 which isn't stored so when you take Cytomel you get a T3 spike that dissipates over the day until you take another one the next day. He said just to refrain until the blood is drawn, then take them. Sounds like all doctors have differing opinions though, so there is probably no one right way.