How do I find the motivation to start?

Options
I think about exercise and I just want to cry. I just feel so unmotivated and unenthusiastic about it.

Having a 2 month old baby and my boyfriend who works a lot I'd have to get up while they are both sleeping and I'll want to be in bed too! Then the idea that I'm going to be tired out all day and still have to take care of my daughter.

I really want to be able to do this but I just can't get my head in the game - please tell me it's worth it! And please give me tips on how to get myself motivated!

Replies

• niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It is so worth it! I love having more energy to play sports with my daughter!
    If you can, get a jogging stroller. Then you can take her with you when you go! All you need is 30 minutes...and it will make a big difference in your mood and energy, which is always important when dealing with a baby :wink: Good luck and go for it! I'm on day 3 of week 8. Couldn't run 60 seconds 2 months ago! Now I'm running 28+ minutes.:flowerforyou:
  • MamaDubbs65
    MamaDubbs65 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    30 minutes of YOU time!! Trust me when I say, you need to take care of yourself. When you do, you'll be better able to take care of everyone else. Rock out to your favorite tunes, watch a TV show (if using a treadmill of course), or just enjoy the rhythm of your feet hitting the pavement. 30 minutes of YOU time is not much to ask. Your body will thank you for it :D
  • MamaDubbs65
    MamaDubbs65 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just saw Me_n_link is starting the program on Monday the 16th. Maybe you two can start together and motivate each other :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    It's worth it. You'll feel great and energetic once you've gotten started.
    Does your boyfriend have regular hours? If so, work out a routine where he cares for your daughter for a half hour when he gets home to give you time to run. You only need 3 days a week. Babysit a neighbourhood child for an hour and have that lady babysit your daughter for an hour so that you can train. Have a light dinner, go for a run (assuming your boyfriend is at home), then have a snack.
    That's three days. It's only difficult to plan in the beginning before the training becomes a routine. If you want this to happen, you will find a way.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That's why I didn't even worry about it until my baby was a year old. I was just focused on getting through that early time. I really disliked how I felt about myself and see a lot of women on here get back on track a lot faster. I'm not sure I'd do it differently if I had it to do over. Do what you can now. You'll have room for more later. It'll all work out in the end.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    That's why I didn't even worry about it until my baby was a year old. I was just focused on getting through that early time. I really disliked how I felt about myself and see a lot of women on here get back on track a lot faster. I'm not sure I'd do it differently if I had it to do over. Do what you can now. You'll have room for more later. It'll all work out in the end.

This! I did the program back in 2011 when my first was 5 months old. This time I'm starting over, and my second is almost 7 months old.

You just have to want it badly enough, and dad has to be ok with being left alone with baby for 30 minutes if you do it when baby is awake. At least he has to be ok with being "on call" if baby is sleeping. I know that's tough if you are nursing, but you won't be gone long, so he just has to comfort baby until you return. Believe me, even when your baby is sleeping through the night, getting up at 5 to be sure you're back and showered by the time the baby wakes up is still brutal. I plan on running when both kids are in bed and settled (7:15/7:30). I prefer to run at night anyway, though I wear a LOT of reflective gear.

Don't do the jogging stroller until your baby is six months old or older. Even if yours reclines (mine does), the jostling involved is supposedly too much for a younger baby than that. Plus it's a learned skill, and it's far easier to get out on your own to focus on learning to run. I like to run on my own and use the jogging stroller for good walks (soooo much smoother than regular strollers).
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Once your kid is older, a 30 minute run with the jog stroller will calm down Precious, if you two are having a crazy day, and will result in a much needed mental health break for you. Also, running naps are some of the most refreshing. My kids never wake up fussy from a jog.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    There is no magical fix for motivation. It is more of a matter of determination. I HATE getting up at 6am and going to the gym, but I'll be d@mned if I don't feel great when I am done. There are days when I have to force myself out of bed, and days when I fail miserably. And tomorrow I get up and do it again. And over time, it has become something that I truly enjoy, the ME time I so desperately need (TRUST ME. You WILL need this.). With such a new baby, perhaps you would do better if you waited until they are of the age that you can take them to the gym daycare (6 weeks at my gym). Until then, try to start doing things at home. When that little one gets bigger and more mobile, you will be so glad you did. The thought of not being able to chase my son around the yard ticks me off, but a year ago I couldn't have done so. I workout in part to keep up with him!
  • laurenb1994
    laurenb1994 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well I started on the 16th! I asked my mum to look after my daughter and I did the run to my partners place of work.

Completed both W1D1 and W1D2.

Killed me the first day but the second it was easier. Gave me such a high.

Excited but so nervous for what is to come!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Lauren! Just focus on the day's training session and try not to worry about what's to come. You'll be ready for it when it comes.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Great job! Don't worry about finishing the program. Just do the runs when you can fit them in. That's what I did - just found thirty minutes to do this run today. I got through the program in 9 weeks without killing myself. You can do it!!!