Run Double app

Options
bgoldham72
bgoldham72 Posts: 12 Member
I used the Run Double app to complete C25K. Now I use it to track my runs. I've also got a cheaper HRM (the watch kind that you touch to get a reading). Both the app & the HRM are set with my current weight, age etc. But the HRM is showing a higher calorie burn than the app (200 cal today). Does that sound normal??? I've been logging the lower of the two just to be sure, but it has me curious.

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's normal that they differ. Both are guessing and using slightly different parameters. The HRM is probably more accurate as it has better data to work with, but I'd do what you're doing and go with the RunDouble (lower calorie) one, just to be safe.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Actually, I wouldn't trust the HRM since it doesn't have constant monitoring. I would go with the Run Double count specifically for that reason, if I were to pick from the two.

But I usually go with 100 calories per mile, which is the basic formula a lot of people use. I don't track calories burnt anymore, as I have that counted for in my diet now, but I used the basic formula when I was eating back calories and tracking calorie burn and stuff.

If you are going to keep with total calories burnt, I would suggest investing in a HRM with a chest strap. They are much more accurate. I have a Polar FT 4 (which I haven't used in months lol), I loved it when I was tracking calories burnt.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The wise man listens to rduhlir. Another reason that two calorie estimation systems might differ is because some of them include base calories (the ones you use for being alive) as well as the ones you burn exercising. MFP already includes the base calories so you shouldn't count them