Just need to whine a little bit...

Options
sjp_511
sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid when I was in middle school. I never took it very seriously when I was younger - I had never heard of the thyroid. In HS I took my medicine more often after I realized that the bags under my eyes were less visible on days I took my medicine. After college, I got more serious about proper thyroid treatment. I went to several different doctors trying to find one that I felt cared about my thyroid treatment. This was during the time when PCP's were very slow to adopt the smaller reference ranges for TSH levels. I had one doctor tell me he would prescribe thyroid medication unless my TSH was above 15.

I have been with my current doctor for 3-4 years. Every time I get my blood drawn, she increases my thyroid medication. It was a small increase every time, but eventually got up to 200. I could sense a bit of hesitation from my doctor about my dosage. With internet research, I realized the 200 mcg is a high dose - on par with some people who have had their thyroid removed. I questioned my doctor and she referred my to an endocrinologist.

More than 15 years after initial dx of thyroid problems and never having had my medication stabilized, I finally had a referral to an endocrinologist. When I saw the endo, he expressed that I should have been treated by an endo years earlier. Ugh!

So here I am at age 29 seeing an endo. Prior to seeing the endo, my husband and I decided to start a family. I had discussed with both my PCP and Gyno and had the go ahead from both. I was off BCP for 2 months when I saw the endo. First thing he did was tell me not to get pregnant until he has answers for my thyroid issues. He suspects that there is more going on with me that normal hypothroidism. He thinks I might have some resistence to thyroid hormone - my free T4 levels are fine - almost too high, but my TSH is still pretty high.

Whew - this post is getting long. I initially started writing it to whine about having delays to starting a family with my husband. It feels like everyone around me just had a baby or is pregnant. It sucks. I am truly happy for all my friends and family that are having or just had babies, but I am also green with envy. And pissed off at the medical system for not being more timely with getting to the root of my thyroid issues earlier! The endo wasn't able to give me any timeline or even explain exactly what needs to be accomplished before he will give me the go ahead.

So all I am asking for is a virtual hug. But if anyone has any experience with thyroid hormone resistance, I would love to hear your story!

Replies

• EvilTracy
    Options
    Hey! So sorry to hear about your struggles! It really sucks when you want something SO BADLY and you are told that you can't have it 'just yet'.

Having a thyroid issue stinks! I'm the only one I know in my personal circle that has an issue, so when I struggle to lose weight (like, ALL.. THE...TIME..!!) I get 'maybe you should cut back on your food', or 'maybe you should exercise more'... it's frustrating when I feel like I'm doing everything I can and it doesn't work.

All I can say is 'hang in there!', just because it's not happening now, doesn't mean it won't... and maybe even soon!!

Maybe the silver lining is, if all of your friends are having babies now, you can babysit and get prepared for what's to come?

Hugs... it'll all work out!
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think treating hypothyroidism is much trickier than any of us would like....I thought I was finally stable at 112 mcg but my endo wants to see me in 2 months versus 3 due to my TSH levels.

Good luck.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    sorry to hear that. I can see why you would be frustrated. As hard as it might be, try to think positive. It looks like you might have found a doctor that can finally get you some answers. Have any of the docs tested your Reverse T3? That's what was driving my TSH up, but it's a test that sometimes gets overlooked.