Eating more fat can save your life reports Daily Beast

Options
Interesting article in daily beast regarding medical community finally turning around and admitting that low fat propaganda has caused the obesity epidemic. Link to article: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/12/13/eating-more-fat-could-save-your-life.html

Here's an excerpt:

“While low-fat eating has increased, so have body weight and waistlines,” says Kerry Stewart, Professor of Medicine and Director of Clinical and Research Exercise Physiology at Johns Hopkins. “Based on what we know now about high carbohydrate eating, the obesity epidemic was predictable.”

Replies

• irolena
    Options
    Fantastic read!
    Thanks for sharing. :)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Interesting article in daily beast regarding medical community finally turning around and admitting that low fat propaganda has caused the obesity epidemic. Link to article: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/12/13/eating-more-fat-could-save-your-life.html

Here's an excerpt:

“While low-fat eating has increased, so have body weight and waistlines,” says Kerry Stewart, Professor of Medicine and Director of Clinical and Research Exercise Physiology at Johns Hopkins. “Based on what we know now about high carbohydrate eating, the obesity epidemic was predictable.”

I have personal sad experience with the stupidity of the "low-fat" craze. My brother was diagnosed with Type II diabetes about fifteen years ago. He was paunchy, at the time--but had no fat anywhere else. His dopey doc said that losing the paunch would make his diabetes go away and put him on a very low fat diet. He lost the paunch but his diabetes got WORSE. He is now on daily injections of insulin and looks like he's in his 80s (he's only 57). :frown: They actually told him that it didn't matter how much sugar he ate, as long as he went fat-free or even just low-fat (35 grams or less per day). Now, the medical establishment has the nerve to tell us that we need AT LEAST 45 grams of fat per day to stay healthy!
  • greenhudler
    Options
    Just commenting so I can sub & remember to go back and read this after I make my yummy dinner lol.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options

Here's an excerpt:

I have personal sad experience with the stupidity of the "low-fat" craze. My brother was diagnosed with Type II diabetes about fifteen years ago. He was paunchy, at the time--but had no fat anywhere else. His dopey doc said that losing the paunch would make his diabetes go away and put him on a very low fat diet. He lost the paunch but his diabetes got WORSE. He is now on daily injections of insulin and looks like he's in his 80s (he's only 57). :frown: They actually told him that it didn't matter how much sugar he ate, as long as he went fat-free or even just low-fat (35 grams or less per day). Now, the medical establishment has the nerve to tell us that we need AT LEAST 45 grams of fat per day to stay healthy!

Oh my goodness, this breaks my heart reading this.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was watching an episode of 'Supersize vs superskinny' and of course the overweight was blamed on eating too much fat, UGH. How will people ever understand it is not like that? Even my husband thinks all the fat I eat can't be good for me :ohwell:
  • Ninanator
    Options
    It's coming folks. Sweden has declared that the LFHC lifestyle has not worked and are advocating a HFLC diet instead. As a government, they poured over decades of research, data, and did their own studies. Instead of ignoring science, like the U.S. did with its USDA recommendations, Sweden acknowledged and acted on it. So for the naysayers, let em get fat and diabetes. For anyone willing to listen, spread the word to them.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    It's coming folks. Sweden has declared that the LFHC lifestyle has not worked and are advocating a HFLC diet instead. As a government, they poured over decades of research, data, and did their own studies. Instead of ignoring science, like the U.S. did with its USDA recommendations, Sweden acknowledged and acted on it. So for the naysayers, let em get fat and diabetes. For anyone willing to listen, spread the word to them.

Yay Sverige! I have seen it here in the news yes! :bigsmile: