testostorone levels

Options
Hi all ,
I had my doctor check my testosterone levels due to I seemed to be tired and didn't seem to have the energy levels that I have had. My level came back as 272 - very low . She told me the levels should be 300 ( extremely low) to 800 - and that they prescribe at under 500.

She gave me a prescription for Androderm which is a patch ,19.5 mg , 4mg per day.

After about 1 week my energy levels had increased and I feel a lot better, doing ALOT better at the gym too ( lol) - but I haven't noticed any difference in other , ahem , drives.

One side effect is " confusion " which I have been doing some dingy things , and I was to watch for signs of moodiness due to the testorone could cause increase in levels of estrogen...I may have caught myself looking for shoes sales ( lol ) any way I thought I would share this as there have been a couple of other guys in there 20's that I talked to, they were checked and were also low and have gotten prescriptions .

I have to go in for a recheck in another month ( month 3 ) and will add to this at that time

Replies

• tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If there are guys in their 20's with low test then surely it would be better to look at the root cause of the problem rather than prescribing for it? Low test usually is related to diet, stress, lack of sleep etc.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If there are guys in their 20's with low test then surely it would be better to look at the root cause of the problem rather than prescribing for it? Low test usually is related to diet, stress, lack of sleep etc.

or hypogonadism.

Sometimes, things just stop working as they should. I was diagnosed at 28. PLENTY of sleep, consistent heavy lifting, on maintenance cals with adequate protein and fat for ages. Would wake up every morning like I hadn't slept a minute. Got a test and was very low. Had to wait 6 months and test again as endo thought I was on the juice. Apparently, anyone remotely muscular is on steroids. :laugh: (I was only 77kg at 5'8")

Now on regular medication, I feel a lot more energetic, strength levels are way up, life is good.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options

or hypogonadism.

Sometimes, things just stop working as they should. I was diagnosed at 28. PLENTY of sleep, consistent heavy lifting, on maintenance cals with adequate protein and fat for ages. Would wake up every morning like I hadn't slept a minute. Got a test and was very low. Had to wait 6 months and test again as endo thought I was on the juice. Apparently, anyone remotely muscular is on steroids. :laugh: (I was only 77kg at 5'8")

Now on regular medication, I feel a lot more energetic, strength levels are way up, life is good.

I'm not saying there aren't legitimate reasons in which TRT needs prescribing in younger men but I do know there are doctors that will prescribe it when the patient is clearly overweight and unhealthy for example. It's this I have a problem with. Clearly you were in a completely different boat!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    While I agree with the health benefits of getting your T in line, I think it is better to look at diet, exercise and environmental issues that might be affecting your hormones. Once you get on a T replacement, your body will stop producing as much T. It is treating a symptom and it is a treatment you'll have to do for the rest of your life.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

or hypogonadism.

I'm not saying there aren't legitimate reasons in which TRT needs prescribing in younger men but I do know there are doctors that will prescribe it when the patient is clearly overweight and unhealthy for example. It's this I have a problem with. Clearly you were in a completely different boat!

Really!? Must be very different in the US. It is a very strict system to get a prescription here. As I said, took me ages to get it. WHich is a good thing I think as they can be low for a short period of time depending on other life factors. Mine was just going to be low forever though. And when you are training as hard as you can, eating to achieve your goals and you are getting SFA results because of a medical problem, it is very frustrating.
  • JeremyBenn
    Options
    Hi all ,
    I had my doctor check my testosterone levels due to I seemed to be tired and didn't seem to have the energy levels that I have had. My level came back as 272 - very low . She told me the levels should be 300 ( extremely low) to 800 - and that they prescribe at under 500.

She gave me a prescription for Androderm which is a patch ,19.5 mg , 4mg per day.

After about 1 week my energy levels had increased and I feel a lot better, doing ALOT better at the gym too ( lol) - but I haven't noticed any difference in other , ahem , drives.

One side effect is " confusion " which I have been doing some dingy things , and I was to watch for signs of moodiness due to the testorone could cause increase in levels of estrogen...I may have caught myself looking for shoes sales ( lol ) any way I thought I would share this as there have been a couple of other guys in there 20's that I talked to, they were checked and were also low and have gotten prescriptions .

I have to go in for a recheck in another month ( month 3 ) and will add to this at that time

honestly bud, go back and talked to your doctor, tell her that altough your levels are coming up youd like to try injectable. she will try and talk you around it but if you persue it will happen. TRT these days seems to be around 125mgs test cypionate every ten days with an a.i. depending on how your estro levels are.
  • JeremyBenn
    Options
    Hi all ,

message me with if have any other questions. There are some very good anti aging clinics that will work off of your blood test.

272 is very low. on 250mgs every 14 days my reading came back around 1500 so.....
  • lifting4fun
    Options
    Test production is controlled by the thyroid, it is also checked at the same time as checking for low T
  • lifting4fun
    Options
    Hi all ,

message me with if have any other questions. There are some very good anti aging clinics that will work off of your blood test.

272 is very low. on 250mgs every 14 days my reading came back around 1500 so.....
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I never got my Testosterone levels checked but I did do some research on how to boost it naturally. I was thinking of buying Test boosters but wasn't sure of the long term effects on the body so I wanted either Vitamines or minerals.

If you want something extra to help, google the benefits of Vitamine D(300-500 IU) In the morning and before bed.It seperates proteines from your test. to give you more free testosterone(the kind you want).

Also Zinc(about 25mg) before bed will help block off estrogen.

Hopefully this can give a helping hand to the patch your using.

Cheers
  • wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, OP. I was 24 when I was put on TRT, after having spent the years since puberty unknowingly dealing with ever worsening problems related to low T + high estrogen. It's not fun.
  • krissenior
    krissenior Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was told about 10 months ago that i had low T, although my T was low my GH is high, i am still going through testing at the moment, a bone density scan in a week and further testing, including a glucose tolerance test in 3 weeks and further bloods, i am really happy that my doctor is being vigorous and not just prescribing TRT, my future wife and I want kids and were told that TRT could affect fertility so kids could be out of the question which upsets her immensely, big decision time soon :/

I was sent a letter the other day that said that previous blood suggested hypergonadism which after reading is not as bad as it sounds, does anyone know whether fertility will return if i decide to start on TRT and then stop? Or if there are alternative theapies that do not have that side affect?

TIA

Kris
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Guys , if an individual takes trt they still considered a natural bodybuilder?
  • wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Kind of a toss up... Depending on the dose your doc sets you up with, it may keep you in a normal range, but it might show up as a positive. As far as ethically, it also depends.

Personally, I compete untested. I would hate to have an amazing meet just to be DQed. Plus, I have no way of really knowing if my particular scrip is giving me an unfair advantage-- I have no baseline for "normal." All I know is that it fixed a lot of problems for me when I started.