Diet plan

Options
Hi All,
Is any-one prepared to help me with a diet plan? I am 5 months post op after my gastric bypass surgery!

I have moved 1500km away from where I stayed when I had my gastric bypass surgery and I am not able to get to my Dietician - also she does not respond om my emails to assist me with a diet plan.
I am really struggling and have not lost any weight for a few weeks...

Help is urgently needed!

Daisy

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    At 5 months out, I know I was really focusing on getting that protein in and probably trying very hard still to stay away from anything processed. I believe that I ate a lot of chicken, fish, ground turkey, turkey bacon, lowfat cheeses, cottage cheese, nonfat greek yogurts, etc. I think whole grains like oatmeal are great for carbs at this stage. Oh, eggs too. Getting in that water and at least 60 grams of protein per day is always a must no matter how far out you are.
    I think I was started to do things like homemade chicken enchiladas and homemade egg rolls and put either chicken or shrimp in them. I love seafood and crab was one of my faves then too.
    Since you've had gastric bypass, keeping up on all your supplements, no matter how far out you are is 100% necessary too. A multi that is designed for wls patients like Bariatric Advantage, Bariatric Fusion, Celebrate, or others are all good choices. OTC ones can be used, but be careful with them and make sure you are getting the full amount that you need. Also, iron, calcium with D3, and B12 are important too.
    My diary is open for my friends and you can go back to my 5 month stage and get ideas if you want--that would be about February or March of 2013.
    I'm always here for any questions!
  • Daisyboohoo
    Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    At 5 months out, I know I was really focusing on getting that protein in and probably trying very hard still to stay away from anything processed. I believe that I ate a lot of chicken, fish, ground turkey, turkey bacon, lowfat cheeses, cottage cheese, nonfat greek yogurts, etc. I think whole grains like oatmeal are great for carbs at this stage. Oh, eggs too. Getting in that water and at least 60 grams of protein per day is always a must no matter how far out you are.
    I think I was started to do things like homemade chicken enchiladas and homemade egg rolls and put either chicken or shrimp in them. I love seafood and crab was one of my faves then too.
    Since you've had gastric bypass, keeping up on all your supplements, no matter how far out you are is 100% necessary too. A multi that is designed for wls patients like Bariatric Advantage, Bariatric Fusion, Celebrate, or others are all good choices. OTC ones can be used, but be careful with them and make sure you are getting the full amount that you need. Also, iron, calcium with D3, and B12 are important too.
    My diary is open for my friends and you can go back to my 5 month stage and get ideas if you want--that would be about February or March of 2013.
    I'm always here for any questions!

Thanks Ann... I really appreciate it.
    I just also have another question...
    Obviously the reason for me getting fat was bad food choices and a lack of discipline...
    Did this just change for you after your operation? How come it seems that everyone is having such a easy time loosing weight and I am really struggling...
    I definitely still have issues with food discipline! I have lost weight, but this is not easy for me at all!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yes, obviously, I too, had a bad relationship with food. Mine went way back. I was never taught, really, what was healthy and what wasn't. My mom was a type I diabetic who was never taught and never knew what to teach her daughters, who were both also type I diabetics. When I was diagnosed, I was about 20 pounds overweight--at the age of 15--and put on a 1200 calorie exchange diet. I lost all my weight within the first month and kind of "got into" the nutrition thing. I probably took it too far because I lost much more weight than necessary and consequently, caused a LOT of problems with my diabetes and the insulin I was taking.
    Over the years, I kept that weight down, even after 3 pregnancies. After losing my aunt, my dad, my mom, my sister, and an 18 year old who was like a son to me (he was my sons' best friend and lived with us for a time) the weight began the creep back on. Whether it was stress, bad finances, complete neglect of my health and what I knew (I had been nutrition major in college!) I managed to gain about 10 pounds a year over the course of 11 years. Did I know how to "fix" it? Nope.
    I can only say that one day in early 2011 my sons and I decided to buy a scale--we hadn't had one in years. That day that I stepped on it and saw 246 for me and found out my youngest son weighed in at 401 pounds was a HUGE wake up call.
    We knew that, as a family, something had to change. Food wise, I had been at the point for several years where I could only eat about one meal a day without getting sick. Digestion didn't work. Probably that one meal a day was carb loaded and high calorie--usually Mexican food or something like it.
    I got to the point that food disgusted me. I was tired of eating. I was tired of what it was doing to me. One of my sons suggested gastric bypass and talked to my endocrinologist about it and he was all for it. So, we started traveling 3 hours away to a dietitian and then I saw my surgeon. Most of the nutrition I already knew and just had to implement it.
    My relationship with food pre surgery began to straighten out because it took over a year for approval--I was denied 3 times. I am able to keep the portions small still, but I do indulge probably much more frequently than I should. I am enjoying some treats over the holidays--my blood sugars don't like it, but I don't plan on continuing it after Christmas is over.
    I've found that I don't care for most food from out--strangely I prefer McDonald's over the fancy restaurants and actually see most of their foods as a healthier option than what I can get at an expensive restaurant. (LOL) I have learned to "tweak" my old recipes and make them healthier--lower carb, lower fat, higher protein, etc. Instead of 5 cookies, I have 1. Just different choices and a different way of looking at things. I do LOVE Greek yogurts (nonfat) and my favorite go to snack is an apple sliced up mixed with about 1/4 cup of plain nonfat Greek yogurt mixed with a tsp. of cinnamon and nutrasweet. It's so good!
    I think it's in the focus, being dedicated to logging food and exercise on MFP, and learning to look at life differently. Food will always be there, we just eat less of it. I don't think any one food should be taboo. I honestly believe it's all good if it's done in moderation and if we learn how it affects our bodies.
    Now, yesterday, I had a horrible day of indulgences and I feel so sluggish today. It's a lesson learned. Does it mean I won't screw up again? Sure. Probably next week or the week after. But it's about balance and being in tune with how food and exercise affects us. I think with that, we begin to have a better relationship with ourselves.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm only 2 months out, but eating pretty "normally" now. I'll open my diary to friends as well. For me, this early "honeymoon" phase of WLS hasn't been without its challenges, but has not been bad over all. I know for me every time I've managed to lose a significant amount of weight, the losing phase was not my problem. It was figuring our how to live that way forever and maintain smaller, high quality portions and more activity. I have 40ish lbs to go and I'm hoping that with the sleeve the maintenance phase will be a bit easier and successful this time. Hang in there.
  • Daisyboohoo
    Options
    I'm only 2 months out, but eating pretty "normally" now. I'll open my diary to friends as well. For me, this early "honeymoon" phase of WLS hasn't been without its challenges, but has not been bad over all. I know for me every time I've managed to lose a significant amount of weight, the losing phase was not my problem. It was figuring our how to live that way forever and maintain smaller, high quality portions and more activity. I have 40ish lbs to go and I'm hoping that with the sleeve the maintenance phase will be a bit easier and successful this time. Hang in there.

Thank you so much!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You can friend me and look at my diet plan if it helps but the reality is choosing to eat protein first over everything else and not choosing other foods until you can be sure to meet you daily protein goal. That said - you have moved a long distance and really should take some time to look for a new nutritionist. You have made a recent "life-changing" decision and must support that choice, I would think you are also choosing a new family doctor as well. That would be a great place to start. Do some consultations to find a new family Dr. and ask that person for nutritional advice. I would also reccomend choosing a family doctor who has experience working with patients who have chosen to have weight loss surgery. Good luck.
  • Daisyboohoo
    Options
    You can friend me and look at my diet plan if it helps but the reality is choosing to eat protein first over everything else and not choosing other foods until you can be sure to meet you daily protein goal. That said - you have moved a long distance and really should take some time to look for a new nutritionist. You have made a recent "life-changing" decision and must support that choice, I would think you are also choosing a new family doctor as well. That would be a great place to start. Do some consultations to find a new family Dr. and ask that person for nutritional advice. I would also reccomend choosing a family doctor who has experience working with patients who have chosen to have weight loss surgery. Good luck.

Thank you for the advice...
    I did not even think about choosing a new family doctor! Actually, I must be honest... I do not have one at the moment, so I think you are so right in recommending this.
    Also did not think of getting a new nutritionist closer... thought "Auntie Google" would do the job.... but I guess I was wrong!:embarassed:
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am about 3 years out. Post surgery, I was with a primary physician and she agreed to monitor my post bariatric health as well as blood pressure, lipids, and dilates After surgery my diabetes has gone into total remission, as well has issues with cholesterol a. My blood pressure is well controlled. She recommended that I seek an endocrinologist to really monitor my health. That has been an excellent choice for me. He really cares about the issues post RNY as he knows that there can be a variety of malabsorbtive issues.
    At the endocrinologist, he has a registered dietician in office that is a great help. Simply put, my biggest difficulty since the honeymoon phase of losing weight was learning to realize that most of my old bad eating habits, we're just habits and not a result of genuine need to fuel my body. Post surgery, I am seldom Hungary, but if I plan my meals to give me max nutrition, then I can tell my head hunger or bad habit hunger to go be quiet.

So I plan on 3 protein shake meals each day, 2 real food snacks a day, with a 60/20/20 (calories%) ratio of protein/fat/carbs. One meal a day, I plan a meal that satisfies my family. A 9 " plate, 1/2 lean protein, 1/4 green vegetable, 1/4 carbs like potato, rice. Or yellow vegetable.

As you see I do not count calories, but the above plan is always less than 1500. I have tried less to lose and more to lose,but neither works for me. So I maintain. If you are still trying to lose, exercise more, longer walks, heavier weights, and less CHAIR time. Today I worked out hard and have been hungry, so snacks have been bigger with more protein and fat! But NOT EMPTY CARBS.
  • Daisyboohoo
    Options
    I am about 3 years out. Post surgery, I was with a primary physician and she agreed to monitor my post bariatric health as well as blood pressure, lipids, and dilates After surgery my diabetes has gone into total remission, as well has issues with cholesterol a. My blood pressure is well controlled. She recommended that I seek an endocrinologist to really monitor my health. That has been an excellent choice for me. He really cares about the issues post RNY as he knows that there can be a variety of malabsorbtive issues.
    At the endocrinologist, he has a registered dietician in office that is a great help. Simply put, my biggest difficulty since the honeymoon phase of losing weight was learning to realize that most of my old bad eating habits, we're just habits and not a result of genuine need to fuel my body. Post surgery, I am seldom Hungary, but if I plan my meals to give me max nutrition, then I can tell my head hunger or bad habit hunger to go be quiet.

So I plan on 3 protein shake meals each day, 2 real food snacks a day, with a 60/20/20 (calories%) ratio of protein/fat/carbs. One meal a day, I plan a meal that satisfies my family. A 9 " plate, 1/2 lean protein, 1/4 green vegetable, 1/4 carbs like potato, rice. Or yellow vegetable.

As you see I do not count calories, but the above plan is always less than 1500. I have tried less to lose and more to lose,but neither works for me. So I maintain. If you are still trying to lose, exercise more, longer walks, heavier weights, and less CHAIR time. Today I worked out hard and have been hungry, so snacks have been bigger with more protein and fat! But NOT EMPTY CARBS.

Thank you for the valuable advice... although I am not sure what you mean with 60/20/20 and based on what is the 1/2 lean protein, etc. Sorry for sounding stupid... but 1/2 of what?
    Thank you once again for taking the time to help me out!
    Daisy
    :flowerforyou: