vigorous exercise

Options
What does it take to get to vigorous exercise? I pushed myself hard on my treadmill and still I only got moderate points. I'm just wondering if any of you have logged in the vigorous category and what you where doing... is there a number of calories burned per minute I need to hit?
thanks!

Replies

• SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    I have been in that area but I try not to as my goal is to burn fat not increase my endurance or stamina which is what you do at the elevated heart rates. I use a HRM to work out and as such know what hart rate zone I am in. Based on that information I go to preferences and adjust the Mets accordingly. The activity does not enter ito the Calories BTW is is an informational goal, You will get credit in the vigorous range based on skin temperature, sweat and skin resistance which is how BM estimates your heart rate and thus calories. Generally the less fit you are the easier it is to get to that zone of your HR. The default settings under preferences seem rather high to me being an old fat man. I have had to move them back up over time as I have lost weight and gotten more fit.
  • sunnydayz71
    sunnydayz71 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That's a good point. I knew but had forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me :-) (about burning fat vs. endurance). I want to burn fat so I guess I won't worry about it.
    On a side note, I noticed that when I have my treadmill inclined (today for instance I walked 9% grade, 3 mph) the calories burned were way off (bm was 1/2 of what the treadmill was) but when I lowered it to 0% incline for cool down, the numbers matched exactly. I'm trying to decide what I think about that, lol. My treadmill I'm sure isn't accurate but it does let me enter age, weight, etc. so it does have some customization... if that's the right word.
    I've only had my bm for a few days so I guess in time it will all make sense.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    For me, vigorous exercise includes running or dancing actively. I've never gotten vigorous just from walking or normal activities.
  • SexyMrsCarty
    SexyMrsCarty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue and like what was said already you can adjust your Mets accordingly go into your setting and play around with them if needed.
    I did an hour long Kettle bell class both my pants and top were soaked and I only got 2 min of vigorous activity and the rest went in as moderate.
    However on my run the full 30 minutes was vigorous so play around with it and see what you can come up with.

I have had mine now a full week and I Love it :heart:
  • tdh115
    tdh115 Posts: 52
    Options
    I have never been able to get mine to vigorous activity. Everything I have tried has calculated as moderate. But I am also not doing anything hardcore. I think the default settings are 3 mets for moderate and 6 mets for vigorous but you can change these if you like. Also, your BM will get more accurate the more you wear it. As it gets used to your body and what is normal for you. Have fun. I love my BM.
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has mentioned, I adjusted the mets designation for moderate and vigorous. These designations are just FYI anyway, so changing the mets cutoff for each level doesn't affect any of your data. I chose my moderate and vigorous activity goals per day, so I choose what level of exercise I consider "moderate" or "vigorous" for me.

I have a HRM, so I kept an eye on how many minutes I spent in a "high" heart rate zone during my workout, and then adjusted my vigorous mets until my BMF data showed about the same amount of time. I did the same for "target heart rate zone' and moderate activity.

If you don't have a heart rate monitor, exercise for a set amount of time (10/20/30 min.) at a steady pace that you would consider "moderate" or "vigorous", see how many minutes your BMF gives you, and adjust your mets until it gives you the time you feel you should have been given for that activity. I had to adjust it a few times over several days until I was satisfied with it.